What can you do with 10K in 3 months?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BERNIE MOSFET View Post
    Bah, I tried to rib you and misread the rankings.
    Tried to rib me?
    www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

• Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
      Tried to rib me?
      I took a dig at you. I thought you were still negative and made a comment about it. I then edited the post because I was wrong, instead of deleting it altogether.
      Men have become the tools of their tools.
      -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I took a dig at you. I thought you were still negative and made a comment about it. I then edited the post because I was wrong, instead of deleting it altogether.
        oh. Mine keeps going back and forth I was up to 10th at one point today and then everything went down at the end.
        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

• Hmmm 10k in 3 months. First I would pay for the delivery, then lots of diapers, and wait....

Comment

Some unfamiliar jargon there, but that's good. I've pilfered bits of info here and there on the interwebs, but do you have any recommendations on material to study to really get a firm grasp of everything involved? Textbooks, or the like?

Exactly. I honestly expected someone (likely slow99) to call BS on it.

The main flaw I'm exploiting is presumed liquidity. Bid-ask spreads are wide when liquidity and volume is low. I'm literally looking at the spreads of really slow stocks to tell me what the stock price will likely do, and buying or shorting accordingly. Without real buyers and sellers, I can buy and sell 40,000 shares in an instant whereas in real life it could take weeks.
            I just picked up on this.

I haven't looked at the site in quite sometime and was shocked when I saw $85k+. So I looked into your picks and noticed you are buying a hell of a lot more than what the stock is even allowing. Some of them I only saw a few thousand shares traded in a typical day. lol

Still had a WTF look when I saw that number..
            Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Some unfamiliar jargon there, but that's good. I've pilfered bits of info here and there on the interwebs, but do you have any recommendations on material to study to really get a firm grasp of everything involved? Textbooks, or the like?
              A 130/30 strategy allows long only mandated funds to utilize some of the concepts that hedge funds use to leverage return and minimize risk. Long only mandates are typically mandated to be long their benchmark (SP 500) and not allowed to short. The fund I worked for was long only so I did work initiating the 130 30 strategy. You go long with 100% of assets in names you like in your benchmark (the "bogey"). You short 30% of assets you want to underweight and use those proceeds to go long an additional 30% on the names you like. This is the 130 30... 130% of your assets under management long and 30% short. That allows the fund to maintain a net beta (bogey, overall market exposure) of 1, while utilizing leverage. Hedge funds are market neutral (beta 0) absolute return vehicles. 120/20 is another popular variation... although these fell out of favor in the '08/'09 crisis. Some still exist.

If you want to invest, you have to understand the language of accounting and finance (investing, not trading...charting is a whole different ball of wax). So, I always recommend a basic book walking you through financial statement analysis...Buffett's Financial Statement Analysis is good. You can start looking at other material from there, but I always recommend that people understand the very basic terminology first. Figure out which strategy suits you after that... read both (growth and value). I'm a value guy, but growth can be equally as rewarding.
              Last edited by slow99; 10-19-2011, 07:38 PM.
              Originally posted by davbrucas
              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

• Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                I just picked up on this.

I haven't looked at the site in quite sometime and was shocked when I saw $85k+. So I looked into your picks and noticed you are buying a hell of a lot more than what the stock is even allowing. Some of them I only saw a few thousand shares traded in a typical day. lol

Still had a WTF look when I saw that number..
                I honestly laughed my ass off every time I looked at my numbers. I had an 84% day Monday. I jumped from 28k to 96k in three days.
                -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                  A 130/30 strategy allows long only mandated funds to utilize some of the concepts that hedge funds use to leverage return and minimize risk. Long only mandates are typically mandated to be long their benchmark (SP 500) and not allowed to short. The fund I worked for was long only so I did work initiating the 130 30 strategy. You go long with 100% of assets in names you like in your benchmark (the "bogey"). You short 30% of assets you want to underweight and use those proceeds to go long an additional 30% on the names you like. This is the 130 30... 130% of your assets under management long and 30% short. That allows the fund to maintain a net beta (bogey, overall market exposure) of 1, while utilizing leverage. Hedge funds are market neutral (beta 0) absolute return vehicles. 120/20 is another popular variation... although these fell out of favor in the '08/'09 crisis. Some still exist.

If you want to invest, you have to understand the language of accounting and finance (investing, not trading...charting is a whole different ball of wax). So, I always recommend a basic book walking you through financial statement analysis...Buffett's Financial Statement Analysis is good. You can start looking at other material from there, but I always recommend that people understand the very basic terminology first. Figure out which strategy suits you after that... read both (growth and value). I'm a value guy, but growth can be equally as rewarding.
                  Awesome, thank you.
                  -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Good day to pick up some shares!
                    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

• maybe i can actually put some green on the board next week. eu looks better now and as oil prices increase my position hopefully will follow.

Comment

• Finished up the day in 10th spot!
                        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

• NFLX is down 27% in after hours which puts it at $86 or so dollars. That is fucking nuts. I bet that is embarassing to watch...

Comment

• What the hell why no options?
                            Full time ninja editor.

Comment

• Originally posted by majorownage View Post
                              What the hell why no options?
                              You have margin and shorting for leverage and hedging.
                              Originally posted by davbrucas
                              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

• Methinks there is a cheater. If you have a live stock ticker, you could easily scam this game. Does it delay the orders so that this cannot happen?
                                Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Working...
                                X