X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired Autozone employee

Lesson learned is, let your boss get shot next time

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...T_YQmuG8Cd3Slv

After AutoZone employee Devin McClean stopped a serial thief from robbing the local auto parts store in York County, Virginia, some hailed him as a hero, but not the head honchoes at AutoZone. They saw McClean's actions as a reason for termination.

It's not the fact that McClean thwarted the would-be-robber, but how he did it.

When the “fake beard bandit," a repeat offender who has struck more than 30 stores in the area, recently entered the store with a gun in hand, McClean took it upon himself to stop the robbery. McClean darted out the door grabbed his gun, reentered the store and confronted the bandit. He was fired two days later.

Shortly after the incident, a Facebook group called "Boycott Autozone in support of Devin Mclean" popped up, asking community members to call AutoZone in support of McClean. Another campaign against AutoZone that calls for the company to publicly apologize, change its policy and reinstate McClean was also posted on a boycott site.

An Autozone representative told a local news channel that the company has a zero tolerance policy for employees bringing weapons into their stores.

This isn't the first time an employee has been fired for intervening in a robbery. In 2011, four Walmart employees were terminated after they disarmed and subdued a gun-toting assailant. Walmart policy directs employees to "disengage" and "withdraw" when a weapon is drawn.

Seems most corporations would rather deal with one of their own being killed instead of the criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
      Seems most corporations would rather deal with one of their own being killed instead of the criminal.
      The fucked up thing is, it's probably cheaper to settle with an employee's family after a death on premises, or with an employee that was fired under those circumstances. I bet that's covered better by their insurance than a robber getting killed, or getting sued by a robber that lived. That would most likely be worse. Also, an employee is usually bound by arbitration first, whether they realize it or not, and hands down, that process is cheaper than a trial. All that said, Autozone was already last on my list, and that's strictly from a customer service perspective. Frankly, I'm amazed that a guy that most likely wouldn't bother to, or flat couldn't find my parts would bother to try to defend the store like that. A few are helpful, but most Autozone employees seem to find it hard to concentrate on anything past remembering to breathe.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Everything Else>Autozone
        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Glad it took about 8 years before my bosses found out about the hood jumping incident.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
            Glad it took about 8 years before my bosses found out about the hood jumping incident.
            Damn, that was 8 years ago; Time really does fly? Wasn’t it over a torque wrench or something of that nature?
            Originally posted by Sean88gt
            You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
            Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
            You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Well, that doesnt surprise me.

he is a Mcclean after all.

Comment

Mcclean ≠ Mcclain

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                  Damn, that was 8 years ago; Time really does fly? Wasn’t it over a torque wrench or something of that nature?

Medium sized tool kit. Feb of 2005, so almost there. I guess it was closer to 7 years before they found out. lol, my auditor who I get along with really well looked like he wanted to hit me for being an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                    Medium sized tool kit. Feb of 2005, so almost there. I guess it was closer to 7 years before they found out. lol, my auditor who I get along with really well looked like he wanted to hit me for being an idiot.
                    can sympathize.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                      can sympathize.
                      did chuckle.

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
                        did chuckle.
                        does agree.

Comment

I got in trouble for chasing down someone who stole a riding mower. He loaded it up on his trailer after cutting the lock. When I asked for a receipt, he took off. I got in my truck which was still running after coming back from lunch and took off after him. Got the mower back, store didn't press charges
                          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

fuck autozone. already was on the bottom of my parts store list being used only in a dire emergency. i wont be shopping there anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                              I got in trouble for chasing down someone who stole a riding mower. He loaded it up on his trailer after cutting the lock. When I asked for a receipt, he took off. I got in my truck which was still running after coming back from lunch and took off after him. Got the mower back, store didn't press charges
                              why would you get mad, lord knows you werent gonna use a riding mower for anything!

*rimshot
                              THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Working...
                              X