Jeep Grand Wagoneers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talisman View Post
    I was heavily looking at Wranglers before deciding it probably wouldn't fit my needs. I really like the newer Moab Editions in white. Right now I'm actually looking at the 09+ Ford Escape Limiteds.
    What is it about Wranglers that don't fit your needs?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      What is it about Wranglers that don't fit your needs?

They're fairly expensive for what they are, underpowered, still get really shitty gas milage,(which couldn't be traded off for buying in cheap like with the OP), I'm leaning towards something with 4 doors, and the 4 door Wranglers look like abortions. Even with all that, I REALLY like that White Moab edition, but I'm not paying 30 grand for it.

Comment

Where do you find the 18 year old bj model Jeep? Hell even an hj model.

Comment

I have a buddy that swapped in a 5.3 and trans out of a 1500 Pickup sitting on 44s and its getting around 14-15 mpg its his daily driver. I have always loved them as I used to be a big AMC fan but yet to own 1

Comment

My Votes are:

Really Any Generation 4 Runner. MPG won't be Great but most are tough reliable DDs with Good Offroad Ability.

LJ Wrangler. If you can comfortably Daily a Wrangler they are tons of fun.. Get something with a 4.0

Land Cruiser or LX470. $$$ and Crap MPG but absolute tanks when maintained. I had to quit looking at Cannon88s so I didn't empty my pockets for it.

How about a 4x4 Taco with a Camper Top? Like a 4-runner with no carpet in the rear

What about a Tahoe? Mpg will be about par with others and I have put my fair share of offroad miles on 1/2 Ton Chevy Trucks without much issue. Same could be said with a tahoe.

Comment

Right now I'm actually looking at the 09+ Ford Escape Limiteds.
              Watch it...that's revocation of man-card territory...especially in a thread talking about wagoneers...

Sent from my LGL45C using Tapatalk 2
              "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                A 4runner can't be beat. I'd look for a clean 96-02 version.
                We have a 2003 and it kicks ass. 4wd v8.

Comment

Originally posted by asphaltjunkie View Post
                  Watch it...that's revocation of man-card territory...especially in a thread talking about wagoneers...

Sent from my LGL45C using Tapatalk 2
                  No shit. Escape is 100% a chick's car.

Comment

I did further looking into it, and 10 was spot fucking on. Crazy. I don't see how any manufacturer could ever justify that. They are so fucking awesome looking though. The Lexus suggested are expensive as hell. Found a cheap Discovery local that looks like it's in good shape. The 4Runners seem to be alright, but they don't really jump out at me as far as body lines.
                    Certainly not looking anywhere near brand new for an LX470. They were expensive cars brand new. But they're absolute tanks, they're comfortable, and they'll run forever. An example with 100k on it is essentially 1/3 of the way through its life, and there are plenty of them to be had for very reasonable ($15k) prices.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                      Where do you find the 18 year old bj model Jeep? Hell even an hj model.
                      I hear the zj's are the best, but they're mighty pricey.

Comment

Smokin F ing deal right here. If my TJ wasn't finished I would be all over it.

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

At 10-12 mpg, look at an excursion with a V10. This is the ultimate family truckster in my opinion and they can be picked up in great condition for less than $10k.

As for 4x4 capability A K5 blazer or bronco > Wagoneer. These already have good axles and drivetrain. Wagoneers had OK axles with oddball spindles/hubs and small u-joints. They also had quadratrac 4x4....very expensive to repair and maintain.

Not to blast jeepers, I respect their hobby and admire their tenacity. If it were not for the jeep, 4x4s would not be what we have today. It was a revolutionary vehicle like the Mustang.

That being said, I have to say this:

Usually by the time a jeep build is complete the only thing left that is truly "jeep" is the speedometer, grill, and hood. Everything else is sourced from ford, gm, or purchased out of a catalog. In my opinion it is better to start with a vehicle that has better "bones". Early bronco, FJ40, Solid axle Hilux, Defender 90, K5 blazer, big bronco, some ramchargers, and most big three trucks are better starting points for a build.

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt View Post
                            At 10-12 mpg, look at an excursion with a V10. This is the ultimate family truckster in my opinion and they can be picked up in great condition for less than $10k.

As for 4x4 capability A K5 blazer or bronco > Wagoneer. These already have good axles and drivetrain. Wagoneers had OK axles with oddball spindles/hubs and small u-joints. They also had quadratrac 4x4....very expensive to repair and maintain.

Not to blast jeepers, I respect their hobby and admire their tenacity. If it were not for the jeep, 4x4s would not be what we have today. It was a revolutionary vehicle like the Mustang.

That being said, I have to say this:

Usually by the time a jeep build is complete the only thing left that is truly "jeep" is the speedometer, grill, and hood. Everything else is sourced from ford, gm, or purchased out of a catalog. In my opinion it is better to start with a vehicle that has better "bones". Early bronco, FJ40, Solid axle Hilux, Defender 90, K5 blazer, big bronco, some ramchargers, and most big three trucks are better starting points for a build.
                            I disagree. I run mine without doors most of the time, not easy with a full size. Mine is still mostly all Jeep and very capable, not to mention the shorter wheelbase and maneuverability. I have owned most of the above vehicles and would not trade my Jeep for any of them. I will say my 90 K5 was a great vehicle and probably one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. Well right up there with my 7.3 and TJ.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

From a 4 wheelin stand point you have better sight and feel in a jeep over any of the ones mentioned by John. Of course this is just my opinion. Along with there's nothing quite like the look and feel of a jeep. Now when I'm saying jeep I do mean only the cj, yj and Tj.

Comment

I wanted a Wagoner or a Bronco but I wanted MPG to so I grabbed a 4.0L 4x4 Explorer for only$1k.Its kinda like a new age bronco II.

lifted it 2" practicality free to clear 285s (still on 255s) and manage 18Mpg with mixed driving and over 20 on the highway. IFS sucks but you could always swap a older radius arm F-150 front end under it.

Comment

Working...
                                X