Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Baron View Post
    have you looked into the Outback Wagon?

That was the first thing I was looking at, before Jeeps. Just can't get excited about them. They are one of those cars you give a nod to on the road as being cool, but wouldn't want to own personally. Still looking at 4 Runners as probably the most viable option, 00-02's. Not in a hurry, probably try to squeeze at least one more road trip out of the 5.0 between Dr. appointments. I've got 3 major ones mapped out to finish North America.

Comment

• None of the hoopty piles of shit listed so far would make a good daily, lmao.
      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Originally posted by UserX View Post
        Badass Jeep, ShawnQ! But that grill is hideous, put the stocker back on! Reminds me a a cheesy Rolls Royce grill on a VW or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
          None of the hoopty piles of shit listed so far would make a good daily, lmao.

What would you suggest, dickcheese?

Comment

• 2013 gt!
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
              2013 gt!

Well, according to you it's already a 4x4.

Comment

• 4Runner would be a solid choice IMO, and will be far more capable offroad than you would probably ever need.

But hell, if you're really only going to hit dirt track roads, I really don't think you even need 4x4. 2 wheel, rear wheel drive mid sized SUV would probably be far more than adequate. In most cases the higher clearance is all you really need.

Even where we go up on the loop in CO you really only need 4x4 in a couple of spots, and even then a decent driver could still get away without it.

Not to say you shouldn't get a 4x4, but something to consider to save on MPGs and initial purchase price.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chili View Post
                  4Runner would be a solid choice IMO, and will be far more capable offroad than you would probably ever need.

But hell, if you're really only going to hit dirt track roads, I really don't think you even need 4x4. 2 wheel, rear wheel drive mid sized SUV would probably be far more than adequate. In most cases the higher clearance is all you really need.

Even where we go up on the loop in CO you really only need 4x4 in a couple of spots, and even then a decent driver could still get away without it.

Not to say you shouldn't get a 4x4, but something to consider to save on MPGs and initial purchase price.
                  That's a really good point, and a true locker in the rear of a 2wd is plenty capable.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron View Post
                    That's a really good point, and a true locker in the rear of a 2wd is plenty capable.
                    Yep.. The only possible worry I would have is if it's wet / muddy / snowy. But I really don't see Eric as the type that would be out in some serious offroading situations.

Comment

Yep.. The only possible worry I would have is if it's wet / muddy / snowy. But I really don't see Eric as the type that would be out in some serious offroading situations.

My sister and BIL have gotten really into Jeeping in the last year, and I want to do more things outdoors. Once I finish(or probably before, looking at time tables) my Grand Tour of the 49 Continental United States I will be changing some aspects of my lifestyle. I've already started in minor ways. Inclimate weather was also one of my favorite reasons for owning SUVs formerly. This next one I'm going to challenge the elements some more with.

Comment

• Sidenote. I used to get a new car every 6 months. It's been a long time since those days, and the last few cars I've bought have been last minute spur of the moment quasi-necessity. I forgot how fun it is to genuinely car shop, and look over vehicles determining what you like. I always got a high from it when I was younger, and this search is giving me that again. It's pretty cool.

Comment

• Sometimes the hunt is more fun than the actual acquisition and ownership.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                            Sometimes the hunt is more fun than the actual acquisition and ownership.

True. As in all of life.

Comment

Google Crown Vic Moab and watch the videos. He does some climbs I'd have to think twice about on my Grizzly. As the guys on Top Gear USA proved a V6 Mustang or even a Yaris are fairly capable off road as long as you have friends along with winches.

Next time you’re out on a trail ride in your Jeep Wrangler, Chevy Blazer, or Ford Bronco and you bypass that tricky obstacle, that makes your toenails curl and get your shorts in a wad, just rememb…

Comment

• If you want to be a grand master bad ass, get a Kaiser M715

And it isn't a pickup, since it has a cloth roof. The old five quarter ton. I'm sure with a 6BT it would be reasonable mileage.
                                Last edited by CJ; 09-28-2013, 07:55 AM.
                                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                                X