No announcement yet.

New tv time, to curve or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst case with direct afternoon sun. Several windows and, all lights on, etc.

Just shutting the blinds on that one window closes to it:

These were taken with my cell phone, and the image is MUCH clearer and sharper in real life.

I have an epson 5030ub, about 16' away from the 110" screen.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
      With all due respect, projection is much more than just the screen.

Ambient light
      lumen
      throw distance
      seating distance
      screen

all should be considered especially if you plan on using it as a primary display
      Ill agree with that, but the screen makes a MAJOR difference.
      "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Comment

Screen does make a huge difference.

Comment

BenQ W1070
          120" fixed screen from VisualApex at 15' away.

15' is the absolute minimum distance for this projector. I'm actually losing 3" (diagonal) of image in velvet frame. When I first set it up, without the frame, I went corner to corner of the wall and it was very clear on the bare sheetrock. The screen increased the brightness and clarity though.

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post

I have an epson 5030ub, about 16' away from the 110" screen.
            Same room setup how would this one compare to the one that you have?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD141X-Theater-Projector-Enabled/dp/B00MK39P92/"]http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD141X-Theater-Projector-Enabled/dp/B00MK39P92/[/ame]

Comment

It's brighter then mine, but my contrast ratio is 600,000:1 vs the 20,000:1.

Comment

people with projectors, what make models do you have?

Comment

Epson 8350
                  2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

It's brighter then mine, but my contrast ratio is 600,000:1 vs the 20,000:1.
                    Aren't contrast numbers one of those things that are not very accurate and can be skewed easily by the mfg?

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                      Aren't contrast numbers one of those things that are not very accurate and can be skewed easily by the mfg?
                      It is, but the epson is considered one of the best for blacks.

Comment

It is, but the epson is considered one of the best for African Americans.
                        ftfy

Comment

I have a Hitachi, we sell a ton of them, primarily for commercial applications, but I got a good deal so I couldn't pass it up.

Comment

FWIW, I just bought (2) 50" Samsung Plasmas in a 720P format! I'm going backwards! For the rooms that I was buying for, they'll be just fine and helped keep cost down. If I want big and clear, that's what the media room is for.

Comment

After hearing the input and seeing the pictures I am in. My wife and I want to arrange our living room where TV is above fireplace, do not want to hang an actual TV there so projector I think is the answer. We have room for an 80" 16:9 screen. I think it will be perfect but do not need a 120" screen.

How will this effect choice of projector since it will be such a smaller image. How close will projector need to be to get that size image. We will be sitting around 11' away from the screen. Would one of the 600-800$ #'s work just as good for that small of screen?

Comment

That price range will be perfect. 15' throws 120" at minimum. 10' - 11' should get you close to that 80" target.

Comment

Working...
                                X