No announcement yet.

Django Unchained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I LOL every time I read this history, and am especially fond of Sam Jackson's take on it at the end.

Spike Lee questioned Tarantino's use of racial epithets in his films, particularly the racially offensive epithet "nigger". In a Variety interview discussing Jackie Brown, Lee said: "I'm not against the word... and I use it, but Quentin is infatuated with the word. What does he want? To be made an honorary black man?"

Tarantino responded on Charlie Rose by stating:
    "As a writer, I demand the right to write any character in the world that I want to write. I demand the right to be them, I demand the right to think them and I demand the right to tell the truth as I see they are, all right? And to say that I can't do that because I'm white, but the Hughes brothers can do that because they're black, that is racist. That is the heart of racism, all right. And I do not accept that ... That is how a segment of the black community that lives in Compton, lives in Inglewood, where Jackie Brown takes place, that lives in Carson, that is how they talk. I'm telling the truth. It would not be questioned if I was black, and I resent the question because I'm white. I have the right to tell the truth. I do not have the right to lie."

In addition, Tarantino retaliated on The Howard Stern Show by stating Lee would have to "stand on a chair to kiss my ass."

Samuel L. Jackson, who has appeared in both directors' films, defended Tarantino's use of the word. At the Berlin Film Festival, where Jackie Brown was being screened, Jackson responded to Lee's criticism by saying:

"I don't think the word is offensive in the context of this film ... Black artists think they are the only ones allowed to use the word. Well, that's bull. Jackie Brown is a wonderful homage to black exploitation films. This is a good film, and Spike hasn't made one of those in a few years."

Comment

Spike Lee is a bitch, and I'm glad they both called him out.

Comment

Cant wait to see this movie.

I've been wondering if the bounty hunter is the same character as the Jew Hunter in Inglorious bastards. Time lines sort of line up. Similar type of dude, and it's common for QT to subtly connect movies.
        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
          Cant wait to see this movie.

I've been wondering if the bounty hunter is the same character as the Jew Hunter in Inglorious bastards. Time lines sort of line up. Similar type of dude, and it's common for QT to subtly connect movies.

Same Character?

Civil War: 1865
          WW2: 1940s.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
            Same Character?

Civil War: 1865
            WW2: 1940s.
            Maybe Granddad/Grandson.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
              Maybe Granddad/Grandson.

You know the female slave character is the great/howevermanytimes grandmother of Shaft?

Comment

I did not.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                  I did not.

Now you do.

Comment

Spike Lee is the racist. IF you have seen Do the Right Thing, he totally gets a pass to be as racist as possible. Fuck him.

Comment

very good movie

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                        Now you do.
                        And knowing is half the battle.

Comment

Every time someone mentions Spike Lee all i can see if Tommy Davidson running people out of his shop with a baseball bat.

XBL Tag = veight7

Comment

Spike Lee is a whiny ass chump. The only time you hear anything about him
                            is when he's bitching about something someone else has done and he's all jelly that they beat him to it or did it better than he could. Fuck Spike Lee.

Comment

Well, anyone see it yet?

Comment

I'd like too, but im waiting on a review...
                                Originally posted by Silverback
                                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                                X