Texas Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Music

Just heard of this guy a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine knew Buddy way back when they were teenagers and recently ran into him again. He went to some place over in the Hurst area to hear him play and forwarded me some video links.

During the 14 years that I've been in Texas I've really come to love Texas style music whether it is country, blues, rock, western swing, or some mixture of all or parts of it. As a DJ for some of the Country or WC Swing events I always try to work a local song or two into the mix.

I'm always looking to hear some new (to me) Texas music of any genre. Post up your favorites.

Saw this guy not to long ago he was the opening act for another local guy, he whole set was pretty kickass

Comment

Another local guy I would suggest going to see when he is playing somewhere in the DFW area

Comment

Mike Ryan is probably my favorite. His cover of Conway Twitty's 'Slowhand' is amazing.

Comment

Bo Phillips is pretty good
          It happens to be a well thought out and reasoned dissertation on drug use and a lyrical cost/benefit analysis of various kinds of drugs, drawing the conclusion that beer is the best of them all.

Comment

This young man has a great original sound. I'm liking his music more every time that I hear any of it. The Range 95.3 has been playing some of it lately. Thanks for reminding me of him MikeD. I'd love to see him live.

He's going to be at The Kessler w/ Chris Knight on Thursday, August 2. It might be a good time for a G2G. The Kessler is a nice place.
            Last edited by slow84lx; 07-22-2012, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jtm98snake View Post
              Bo Phillips is pretty good
              Mike Ryan is probably my favorite. His cover of Conway Twitty's 'Slowhand' is amazing.
              I listened to both on Youtube. Good stuff! I really liked Bo Phillips.

Comment

One of my favorites is Bleu Edmondson his acoustic shows are awesome.

"It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

The last year or so I have been re-discovering my love for music. As a kid I was in to punk and alternative before it got popular. That morphed in to liking mostly rock but the last few years I have not been feeling it even switched over to main steam country but just never gelled with it. About a year ago a friend pointed out 95.3 and I started listening to the Texas country , southern rock , red dirt what even you want to call it scene. I really like this music.

The wife and I just spend all day / night at Southfork for the TMR (Texas Music Revolution) show and had a blast. I liked a lot of it but one band that I have not herd much of kicked serious ass. The Dirty River Boys are now going to be added to my Itunes.

6-25-10 RIP Chloe Rene Daddy loves you always

78 Suburban (slammed with LS in future)
                  54 Olds 88 2dr HT
                  12 Camaro SS convertible

Comment

My wife and I saw Junior Brown at the Granada a few years ago, and a guy named Jesse Dayton opened for him. He's out of Austin and plays at the Spoke a lot. I'm not a huge country fan, but he's pretty damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead78 View Post
                      The last year or so I have been re-discovering my love for music. As a kid I was in to punk and alternative before it got popular. That morphed in to liking mostly rock but the last few years I have not been feeling it even switched over to main steam country but just never gelled with it. About a year ago a friend pointed out 95.3 and I started listening to the Texas country , southern rock , red dirt what even you want to call it scene. I really like this music.

The wife and I just spend all day / night at Southfork for the TMR (Texas Music Revolution) show and had a blast. I liked a lot of it but one band that I have not herd much of kicked serious ass. The Dirty River Boys are now going to be added to my Itunes.
                      Pretty much my exact backstory. Listened to early punk, alt, true hip-hop. Still listen to all of it but my main rotation is Texas Country.

Would have liked to of seen Chris Knight at TMR! We make a point to see Boland everytime he is out our way.....

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                        Pretty much my exact backstory. Listened to early punk, alt, true hip-hop. Still listen to all of it but my main rotation is Texas Country.

Would have liked to of seen Chris Knight at TMR! We make a point to see Boland everytime he is out our way.....

He was pretty good. I heard from a few people he has not as good as he has been at other imes they had seen him. My favorites were Jason Boland, Dirty River Boys, and Turnpike Trubadors. The Bigsbys and American Aquarium were really good too but since I had not heard much from either before I was not as in to it.

6-25-10 RIP Chloe Rene Daddy loves you always

78 Suburban (slammed with LS in future)
                        54 Olds 88 2dr HT
                        12 Camaro SS convertible

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead78 View Post
                          He was pretty good. I heard from a few people he has not as good as he has been at other imes they had seen him. My favorites were Jason Boland, Dirty River Boys, and Turnpike Trubadors. The Bigsbys and American Aquarium were really good too but since I had not heard much from either before I was not as in to it.
                          If you liked Turnpike Troubadours try Whiskey Myers. I love me some Jason Boland.

Comment

Originally posted by downshift_me View Post
                            If you liked Turnpike Troubadours try Whiskey Myers. I love me some Jason Boland.
                            X2 on Whiskey Myers they are a good act to see. Band of Heathens, Brandon Jenkins and Roger Creager are some of my favorite acts to see.
                            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                              X2 on Whiskey Myers they are a good act to see. Band of Heathens, Brandon Jenkins and Roger Creager are some of my favorite acts to see.
                              Roger Creager, Wade Bowen and Aaron Watson are 3 of my favs. Brandon Rhyder was a fav, but his last concert I was pretty bored and ADD kicked in.

Comment

Working...
                              X