THF Hunting rifle challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
    I'm tossing around 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x47 Lapua, and 6.5 Creedmoor....

Pretty sure I want it to be 6.5mm, but also thought about doing a 6mm. Just not sure I can get the power I want from the 6mm...
    6mm is more than enough in the Texas and up to Elk in the right circumstances.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
      I like the redding bushing dies a lot better. They seem to be a bit higher quality.
      That makes more sense.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I'm tossing around 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x47 Lapua, and 6.5 Creedmoor....

Pretty sure I want it to be 6.5mm, but also thought about doing a 6mm. Just not sure I can get the power I want from the 6mm...
        Being able to buy factory match grade ammo is what steered me to the 6.5CM. Don't get me wrong, I'll be reloading my own ammo but I know at some point I'll run into a situation where my work schedule doesn't allow me enough time to load what I need. Can't really complain about being able to get Hornady 140gr A-Max ammo for less than $25 a box.
        Originally posted by Jester
        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
        He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
        Originally posted by Denny
        What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
        FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Being able to buy factory match grade ammo is what steered me to the 6.5CM. Don't get me wrong, I'll be reloading my own ammo but I know at some point I'll run into a situation where my work schedule doesn't allow me enough time to load what I need. Can't really complain about being able to get Hornady 140gr A-Max ammo for less than $25 a box.
          That's the reason I've stuck with .308 for so long. I do reload but didn't have the foresight to stock up on components. Now that powder and brass are getting more plentiful, I am thinking of broadening my horizons a little...
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Looks like I might be changing my criteria a bit and basing it on what barrel I can get. I already have a HS stock laying around although inletted for one contour there are several that will work. Now the only issue is the diameter they are in and twist. I can get a 6mm that will fit well but it's a 1:7 twist and that is extremely fast for my tcu idea but will work great for a 6mm Creedmoor. Dies can be made from 6.5 creedmoor dies by changing a bushing and I can get proper headstamp brass. There is also a lot of talk that hornady is going to bring it into the loaded ammo category soon as well.

Comment

Looks like I might be changing my criteria a bit and basing it on what barrel I can get. I already have a HS stock laying around although inletted for one contour there are several that will work. Now the only issue is the diameter they are in and twist. I can get a 6mm that will fit well but it's a 1:7 twist and that is extremely fast for my tcu idea but will work great for a 6mm Creedmoor. Dies can be made from 6.5 creedmoor dies by changing a bushing and I can get proper headstamp brass. There is also a lot of talk that hornady is going to bring it into the loaded ammo category soon as well.
              Holy shit! A more accurate .243?

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                Holy shit! A more accurate .243?
                More efficient, uses a little less powder. Should have less case stretch with the steeper shoulder angle. A 243 can go faster but with the longer case heavy bullets have to be seated deeper than the Creedmoor, basically the same as when comparing the 260 and creedmoor.

Comment

It just got weeded out being that dies cost $260 alone plus I'll need another $40-$60 for neck bushings. I'm thinking I might be going 6mm TCU since I already have access to a reamer and formed brass.
                  Is it the "newness" of the round that is causing the high priced dies?
                  "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

More efficient, uses a little less powder. Should have less case stretch with the steeper shoulder angle. A 243 can go faster but with the longer case heavy bullets have to be seated deeper than the Creedmoor, basically the same as when comparing the 260 and creedmoor.
                    Groovy.

Comment

Is it the "newness" of the round that is causing the high priced dies?
                      I think it's the Lapua name. The round has been around about as long as tge creedmoor.

Comment

Probably a lot to do with the name and the fact it hasn't caught on as quickly as the Creed so not as much demand for those dies.

Comment

I found some Whidden dies that aren't too outrageous on price so I might do a 6.5x47Lapua or 6x47Lapua.

Comment

Spoke to Scott at Live Oak Friday and he seems like a great guy. He offered to order a reamer for 6mm Creedmoor since I was interested in it which is awesome. His prices are on par with most it seems and I will be dropping stuff off whenever the reamer shows up.

Comment

Awesome man! I've been researching barrels and calibers.
                              What barrel, length, and profile you going with and on what action?

Comment

Awesome man! I've been researching barrels and calibers.
                                What barrel, length, and profile you going with and on what action?
                                I was about to order a Krieger from Third generation but he had a Bartlien in stock. I gladly accepted since he will profile to my liking. I'm 98% set on a 22" barrel but I might drop it to 20" before it's said and done. I want something around a light palma to hunter contour since I have a HS precision stock already inletted for that profile. I already have a ton of 700 stuff so that's the action and if anything needs a change the upgrades are cheap and plentiful.

Comment

Working...
                                X