My super tacticool build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yale View Post
    That has to do with cartridge overall length, but sort of, yes. It's a risk, but not a high one. AR chamberings tend to be 5.56mm, the longer one, and bolt action rifle chamberings tend to be in .223, which is the shorter of the two. Most people with .223 bolt actions purchase .223, as that's what's engraved on the barrel, and most people AR's purchase whatever's cheapest, so it really doesn't matter.
    I knew they had different pressures but I didn't know one was longer. Good to know.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
      5.56 does have a slightly longer leade than .223, but the safety aspect comes from the fact that 5.56 max pressure is higher than .223.
      Right, but it's a pretty low risk, given people's purchase patterns.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
        I knew they had different pressures but I didn't know one was longer. Good to know.
        The cases are identical.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          My only experience handloading 7.62x39 is with AK's, and if you load a .308 bullet and fire out of an AK, it loses accuracy pretty tremendously (which in itself is incredible). If it's made with a .308 barrel, I would think a .311" bullet would increase pressures a hell of a lot.
          What would the signs be of over pressure? I still have most of the brass casings that I have shot out of it. It was a few hundred rounds of Winchester white box and a couple thousand rounds of cheap steel case stuff of various brands.

Comment

Originally posted by bigshoe View Post
            What would the signs be of over pressure? I still have most of the brass casings that I have shot out of it. It was a few hundred rounds of Winchester white box and a couple thousand rounds of cheap steel case stuff of various brands.
            flattened primers, or even bulging primers.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
              The cases are identical.
              Right, I meant OAL.
              "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
              -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
                Right, I meant OAL.
                Yes, even then the bullet's ogive can change the leade leaving the COL the same. Here's a really good picture to show what exactly the leade is, as it's pretty confusing to some of the other guys I'm sure.

Comment

The Sierra manual only goes up to 150gr bullets in 308 diameter and 125gr in 311 diameter stuff.
                  "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Working...
                  X