Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the earliest you have asked for a raise at work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't, I work for a union so it's preset every year, and only woks out to like .50+ cents each year
    Last edited by 01vnms4v; 09-29-2012, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
      The third factor is the thing that is making me consider moving up a timetable. I dont want to end up getting paid for 1 gig while performing 3-4
      Welcome to the real world. Lol
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Money follows good work. Not the other way around. I have never asked for a raise. They have always been given to me. I have worked at the same shop for the past 10 years and I make 5 times as much now as when I first started.

Comment

Just curious to see where this goes.

As a primer, I recently got a new gig and have been absolutely loving it, and kicking ass.But, judging by the amount of responsibilities I have, and the fact that the list keep growing greater and greater, taking on other peoples roles, it begs the question to look again at my compensation.

I've been kicking ass here, and I have tackled on several new projects, learned several new skills, and have even gotten us PO's...even though I'm technically "no longer in sales" ...which means i don't get compensated like our sales guys do..

You want a RAISE? Hell NO just be glad you have a job you ungrateful welch!! Your company GAVE you a job how dare you ask for a raise! You should be grateful they gave you one and turn in some of your salary so the boss can relax some more. He's smarter than you and he deserves it all.

Did I get that right?? Just checking, I wasn't sure.......

Comment

Good luck. You'll get a little but doing 3-4 peoples work is the normal anymore.

I wait until a year, but start making notes to take with you to your evaluation meeting. A lot of things are forgotten unless they are fresh.

And lmao at 4eyed. I've actually witnessed that before. Ever since 2008 anyone who has a job(not a career in most cases) should be thankful.

Comment

Originally posted by kennybo View Post
              Money follows good work. Not the other way around. I have never asked for a raise. They have always been given to me. I have worked at the same shop for the past 10 years and I make 5 times as much now as when I first started.
              TxDOT is the opposite. Money follows the lazy and half ass workers.

Comment

Get a new job that pays more? Idk.

Comment

Always negotiate your wage up front. I know it's not very helpful in your situation but you have to fight your ass off up front. Once you're doing the job you're doing the job, your leverage is lost.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    Always negotiate your wage up front. I know it's not very helpful in your situation but you have to fight your ass off up front. Once you're doing the job you're doing the job, your leverage is lost.
                    That's what I'm regretting CJ.

I mean I'm getting a nice sized bonus, but now that I'm doing some lead-to-close sales, its frustrating knowing I'm not getting any commission on these, and in my industry, the commissions are quite healthy.

I dont mind doing 3-4 peoples work...as long as I'm at least getting paid fairly for ONE of those jobs , heh!

Well, to be more fair, I dont mind doing the work as long as nothing slips by. Where i DONT want to be is be in a position where due to the overload of tasks something important gets left behind and the company suffers (as well as my performance ).

Comment

That's what I'm regretting CJ.

I mean I'm getting a nice sized bonus, but now that I'm doing some lead-to-close sales, its frustrating knowing I'm not getting any commission on these, and in my industry, the commissions are quite healthy.

I dont mind doing 3-4 peoples work...as long as I'm at least getting paid fairly for ONE of those jobs , heh!

Well, to be more fair, I dont mind doing the work as long as nothing slips by. Where i DONT want to be is be in a position where due to the overload of tasks something important gets left behind and the company suffers (as well as my performance ).
                      Let me know if you need any good methods when asking for a raise, I've got my own encyclopedia to justify them. But, you can't always regret that, because if it's a new position you had no experience in... how could you have? When you do a big position change or promotion they have you by the balls, expect to get fleeced because they are providing you with an opportunity, and like it or not you have to pay for that with lower pay. On your transfer is when you negotiate the bigger wages. They are investing in you also, and the payoff on the employers end with hiring within is less expense.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Just to set expectation, you may think you're doing the work of 3 or 4 people, and your boss may whole heartedly agree, but that's not worth a whole lot if it's a larger company.

What I mean by that Ryan, is that the company as a whole likely has policies regarding their compensation plan, which your boss has to abide by. Unless your boss is the CEO, there's not much wiggl room in those policies.

I am up against that myself. My company brought me into this position for a song, as it was an internal promotion with a huge jump in responsibilities, so they had my old salary as a basis. I did get a cost of living increase, and a more than average raise, but not in line with compable performers.

Fast-forward to today and with the experience garnered, I am responsible for the largest accounts in my region. My boss is one of my biggest fans, and wants to give me more, but the company is more concerned about their bottom line, and I'm just a number on the books. The only way to get the increase I deserve will be to seek employment elsewhere, or possibly they'll cave to keep me, when I put in my notice.

I was told by a friend many years ago that the only way to get a large salary increase is to go to a different company. He did exactly that, and then ironically got hired back on with the original company at the higher pay scale, it just took a couple years.

Comment

lol CJ, you just said the same thing, in a lot fewer words.

That having been said, it doesn't hurt to ask. You do have leverage, but that's in moving to a new company, not internally where you're at.

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
                            All you mothafuckas!! Fuck you too!!!
                            Fuck you too! Die slow mothafucka, my fo-fo make sure all y'all kids don't grow!
                            .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by A+ View Post
                              Fuck you too! Die slow mothafucka, my fo-fo make sure all y'all kids don't grow!
                              You motherfuckers can't be us or see us. We motherfuckin' Thug Life riders. West Side till'we die.
                              Originally posted by talisman
                              I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                              Originally posted by AdamLX
                              If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                              Because fuck you, that's why
                              Originally posted by 80coupe
                              nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                              Originally posted by Rick Modena
                              ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                              Originally posted by Jester
                              Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Best way to get a substantial raise is to go work for a competitor that knows your value.

Comment

Working...
                                X