Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the earliest you have asked for a raise at work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ View Post
    lol are you serious? 10%?
    If you can command it, why not? Corporations have no loyalty. Why should an employee look out for anyone but themselves?
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I wouldn't ask for one earlier than 6 months in unless i was brought in underpaid and the workload was ridiculous. I got 15% last year, better get something substantial this year. my mid year eval / raise was 1.5 fucking percent, i just about told the boss to take it back to his bosses and have them shove it up their asses. I'm out of contract in.. 9 days and counting, and you can bet your ass we're gonna play the renegotiation game before i commit to much more (see: any) time in Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
        If you can command it, why not? Corporations have no loyalty. Why should an employee look out for anyone but themselves?
        I get the argument there. But you better be willing to look for another job if you go about it the wrong way. Pricing yourself out of a job can easily happen if you go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
          I was told by a friend many years ago that the only way to get a large salary increase is to go to a different company. He did exactly that, and then ironically got hired back on with the original company at the higher pay scale, it just took a couple years.
          Ha, one of my buds did just that by design. Being hired right out of college put you on a certain compensation track with this large blue corporation. He left with the intent to return in a year. Returned and it put him on the "professional hire" track which made his income higher than had he stayed with the company in the first place. Corporate efficiency! lol
          US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
            I report to the owner. It's a small technology startup in its 5th year of operation in its with an absolutely killer product that is selling like crazy, and the team is growing, but with a few growing pains along the way. The business owner is a bit worried about growing too fast, and wants to carefully bring on people, so there isnt any personality conflicts with too much change. I can agree with that, but it puts a strain on the existing team until those new hires come in. I am doing a few peoples jobs, because i know the people whose jobs i am taking on =)

Great points, and the one thing i am noting is my boss is relying on me to get shit done. Pretty good feeling to be becoming known as the go to guy. Just the go to guy has got to get paid sooner or later
            Self help self heal tools?
            Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
              Then at least you don't have to deal with corporate bullshit, which puts you in a better position, but still less leverage than taking your skillset elsewhere.

PM me if this up and coming technology has a fit in the state and local government space. If it's software related, perhaps I can help you break into the CA SLG market, if there's margin to be had.

Very valid point, EVERYONE is replaceable.
              We provide a very very valuable tool to SAP ERP users and superusers. We work with everyone from Wal-mart to Richemont to the Israeli Defence Force. And yes, everyone is replaceable. I am quite lucky i developed a good relationship with one of the guys i replaced, and can call on him to see where the company is in a few projects that only he had knowledge of.

Originally posted by Frank View Post
              How the heck are you getting several good performance reviews in less than 6 months? AFAIK, most companies only do their real reviews yearly. Maybe they got you pumped up thinking your a bigger badass than you really are from atta boy's and other talks. Maybe you really are. 1 year mark sounds about right though. I know it may seem like a long time to you, but not to your employer. All the best to you man. Its been fun watching you grow up. Just leave the goats alone.
              This isnt a super-structured corporate environment where you have 50 TPS reports for every action. Everyone here is relying on their peers to get shit done that needs to be done, rather than waiting on reports or an employee handbook to tell them how to do their job. The structured yearly HR reports havent made it into the system yet...but at the way the company is growing, who knows!

From what I see, this is a make it or break it position. The last person before me made it 3 weeks before quitting/getting fired. The person before that was good, but also left to go back home. The person before that wasnt very good and quit. A few key demonstrations I had to deliver to outside prospects (no time for an internal run-through with the team) , and a few other key milestones i had to make or else I was gone. I nailed everything asked of me, and improved several processes. I was given both a verbal and electronic review after my 2nd big demo I delivered. Definitely a good feeling, because ill be honest, dealing with big corporations is still intimidating for me and I'm not as intuitively wise as a 20-year veteran in ERP software.

I'm just using a lot of the soft skills that some engineers seem to lack, plus using my background and contacts I have built up over the last few years to grow and develop leads. That's why they hired me on, and that's why I'm getting the responses I have been getting. To me it's simple and elementary, but its harder for software engineers and developers to wrap their heads around sometimes when dealing with Business unit customers and stakeholders.

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
              Self help self heal tools?
              I'm not sure i follow?

Comment

lol are you serious? 10%?
                Yes.. I have got at least a 10% raise + retention bonus nearly every 6 months now for the past few years.

Back in 09 I only got one raise that year, 10k bonus though.
                "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
                  Yes.. I have got at least a 10% raise + retention bonus nearly every 6 months now for the past few years.

Back in 09 I only got one raise that year, 10k bonus though.
                  You must in a very different line of work than I am. 5% annual is incredibly good for my field.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

You must in a very different line of work than I am. 5% annual is incredibly good for my field.
                    He must be in a very different line of work than most on here.

Since '09/'10 I am lucky to get 5% annual anymore.
                    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                      I get the argument there. But you better be willing to look for another job if you go about it the wrong way. Pricing yourself out of a job can easily happen if you go that route.
                      Life is about risk and reward. Like I said, if you can command it, more power to you. The only way to get substantial increases regularly, is lateral moves. Promotions and such are great, but when promotions come they are almost always with a low increase. Lateral moves stack the cash. So it makes perfect sense to move around from company to company, until you get where you want to be, then go for the promotion.

This is what I'd do, if I wasn't in the position I'm in.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                        He must be in a very different line of work than most on here.

Since '09/'10 I am lucky to get 5% annual anymore.
                        If I was getting 20% annual increases I would be balling out of control in just a few years.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I've left my current company twice and am now working for them for the third time. Each rehire has had a substantial increase in salary. After I close on a house they're going to be opening their checkbook again or I'm out of here. Been listening to empty promises for a year while I rebuilt my bankroll and did some traveling. Now it's time to get paid.

Comment

If I was getting 20% annual increases I would be balling out of control in just a few years.
                            When I first started with this company 6 years ago 5-10% wasn't unheard of, however, ever since the '08 crash the word annual and raise is pretty much forbidden language.

Comment

I'm in oil and gas...

I got hired on really cheap out of college, learned a certain trade by one of the best in the business, and now I'm one of very few that can manipulate certain 3d software in my field. Pure luck honestly.

The guy that trained me is making $150 an hour.. +time and a half. I'm not making no where near that yet...

So yes, I'm right at the point I'm starting ball... DFWMustang style.
                              "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

I had to quit HP to get them to give me a raise...

I initially got a 5% raise after my first year at HP.. then Mark Hurd wiped that away. Two years later I finally got back to that point. Then I got a promotion but no raise to go with it. I confronted my boss on it and he asked me to give him 90 days to look into it.

90 days later I asked him about it and he blew me off. So I started sending out resumes. I was offered multiple jobs within a week but I held out for the right match. That match came a couple of months later. It gave me a 25% raise, still let me telecommute from home, the ability to turn down projects, and clear promotion opportunities...

I gave my notice to my boss and he was in shock. Usually that is the end of it at HP. They don't do anything to retain employees. However, this time was an exception. They matched the 25% raise and gave me two months salary as a retention bonus. I also got "some" right of refusal on my projects and was put on a path for another promotion. It was a pretty good offer so I took it and stayed at HP.

Funny thing is, it would have cost my boss a lot less money if he had addressed it after those 90 days.

Comment

Working...
                                X