Best steak in the Dallas area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
    I think I've mentioned this before but Chamberlain's is my personal favorite. I almost always get their 40 day aged. Nick & Sam's is a very close second.
    Chamberlains is good, I've eaten there twice and it was pretty solid, but not sure I'd consider it "the best".

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
    I've talked to a few friends and have gotten mixed reviews on III Forks
    I was at a wine tasting there last weekend. Completely disorganized and the wine folks that were supposed to help out were MIA, bartender pouring stuff didn't even know the vintage of anything he was pouring. The place is a has-been, just a bunch of old codgers in there now, yuck.

Originally posted by Dave View Post
    Lawry's The Prime Rib when money is no object.
    Do what? While I'll say that Lawry's isn't cheap, it's by far the priciest place in town. For prime rib it's good, but if someone is looking for any other cut of meat, I would not recommend Lawry's. Ever since they moved from their old spot (where Nick & Sam's currently is), it just hasn't been the same.

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
    Houston's off of Preston is gone :/

It is now called Hillstone. Anyone know anything about this place? Prices look the same.
    Hillstone is the parent company of Houston's. The just re-branded several of their stores to allow them some more freedom on their menu. All of the same food is there, and there's a few new things. Same people are working there. I think Houston's is a really solid choice for steak, if you get the filet. Only problem is the Preston Rd/NW Hwy location doesn't take reservations, and you're looking at a 45 minute wait minimum to get in. The one on Beltline takes reservations, but it's too family oriented for me.

Originally posted by samuel642000 View Post
    Charlie Palmers in Dallas, my little bro is the chef there.
    I think Charlie Palmer has some really great stuff. Their steak was good as well. But I wouldn't recommend it unless someone was going to go for the one steak cut they offer. If you're willing to have a good food experience outside of steak, it's a great place.

Originally posted by Denny View Post
    If I'm not grilling it myself, then it's Sullivans.
    I've had hit and miss experiences with Sullivans. Sometimes its great, and sometimes it's a miss. So if someone has a special day for something, I wouldn't roll the dice and chance it myself. Oddly enough, on two occasions the server has left the bottle of wine off the tab. One time in my youth, we said screw it and paid the tab for the food and bolted. A couple of years ago when it happened, it was a pretty expensive bottle of wine and I wasn't going to do that to the waiter, so I told him about it.

Personally, I'd go with Del Friscos off Spring Valley and the Tollway. As long as you're not going there during Restaurant Week (haha) then the service has always been pretty good. I think Pappas is good too, but it will definitely set you back in the pocket (assuming you drink).

Comment

I've only been there a few times and got the "Cowboy Cut" ribeye (or whatever it's called) and once got the Porterhouse. No complaints so far.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post

Hillstone is the parent company of Houston's. The just re-branded several of their stores to allow them some more freedom on their menu. All of the same food is there, and there's a few new things. Same people are working there. I think Houston's is a really solid choice for steak, if you get the filet. Only problem is the Preston Rd/NW Hwy location doesn't take reservations, and you're looking at a 45 minute wait minimum to get in. The one on Beltline takes reservations, but it's too family oriented for me.

Makes sense. Try a 3 hour wait on Valentines day. What a mother fucking beating!!! There is only so much you can talk about with your wife in 3 hours. The steak is worth it once I have had a few beers.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
          I was at a wine tasting there last weekend. Completely disorganized and the wine folks that were supposed to help out were MIA, bartender pouring stuff didn't even know the vintage of anything he was pouring. The place is a has-been, just a bunch of old codgers in there now, yuck.
          Krupp Brothers wine tasting at the Petroleum Club last Friday

I've had better experiences at Del Friscos on the Tollway, Bob's Dallas, Chamberlain's and Capital Grille. I went back to Nick and Sams last week and that's now back up at the top of my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon88 View Post
            I had the managers boner in my ass there once that was the size of my head. It was amazing.

Here is the truth.
            I think his point is that the fish got low balled, fucked in the catfish asshole and you paid half price. The worst part was the fish explaining to his fish friends why his asshole smelled like redneck

Comment

If you head toward Grapevine, try Old Hickory at the Gaylord Texan. They're not cheap by any means, but I took my wife there when I proposed and it was excellent. Out of all the local steak places, it is definitely my #1 pick. The atmosphere is amazing for a date night too, dimly lit with a pianist playing and very elegant...she'll do whatever you want that night after hitting this place. It was close to $200 after the tip for the two of us, but I would say it was worth it.

Old Hickory
              Last edited by Chritaka; 01-19-2011, 12:06 PM.
              Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

Comment

Originally posted by Chritaka View Post
                If you head toward Grapevine, try Old Hickory at the Gaylord Texan. They're not cheap by any means, but I took my wife there when I proposed and it was excellent. Out of all the local steak places, it is definitely my #1 pick. It was close to $200 after the tip for the two of us, but I would say it was worth it.

Old Hickory
                No offense, but you need to try a real steak there. I went once. Out of a group of 8, not a single steak was good, nor was it cooked properly. I wouldn't piss on that place if it was on fire.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  No offense, but you need to try a real steak there. I went once. Out of a group of 8, not a single steak was good, nor was it cooked properly. I wouldn't piss on that place if it was on fire.
                  I just got a mental picture of Michael Douglas pissing on his stove from War of the Roses.

Comment

Hmm...maybe you're confused? I've been to steak joints all over the world, I think I know my steaks. It was about 3 years ago when we went, so it could have changed... However, when we went it was excellent.
                    Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

Comment

Ya, Brent! Maybe you're confused!

I like Bob's. I'm a prime filet man. If I went to Del Frisco's, I'd have to order two steaks or leave hungry. Fuck that!

I honestly haven't tried many of the other places listed. Pappa's was okay, but it was many years ago that I went.

I eat at Texas De Brazil fairly often. Fogo as well. Both are great, but not really the same as a pure steakhouse.

I'd rather have McDonalds than Boi Na Braza.

LOL @ Texas Roadhouse, Bonedaddy's, Love and War, etc even being mentioned in this thread.
                      Last edited by jluv; 01-19-2011, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Hmm...maybe you're confused? I've been to steak joints all over the world, I think I know my steaks. It was about 3 years ago when we went, so it could have changed... However, when we went it was excellent.
                        Lmfao. Yeah. I'm confused. I can assure you there is no confusion. I know exactly where Old Hickory is (spiral staircase to the basement level), and i know every single person i was with complained about the food, and rightfully so. We spent close to $3000, and the only good thing we had were the drinks. I've also enjoyed fine dining all over, and I'm here to tell you that meal was a fine piece of shit. If there is one thing in this world I know, it's food.

Hey, if you like overcooked choice cuts that tastes like shit, more power to you.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Pappas Bros for the win!!!!

Comment

Lmfao. Yeah. I'm confused. I can assure you there is no confusion. I know exactly where Old Hickory is (spiral staircase to the basement level), and i know every single person i was with complained about the food, and rightfully so. We spent close to $3000, and the only good thing we had were the drinks. I've also enjoyed fine dining all over, and I'm here to tell you that meal was a fine piece of shit. If there is one thing in this world I know, it's food.

Hey, if you like overcooked choice cuts that tastes like shit, more power to you.
                            Sorry, guess I've missed all those published restaurant reviews of yours since you're such a connoisseur. You may have had a bad experience, but to tell someone their tastes suck and they don't know a real steak due to your single experience is asinine. No offense, but pull the panties out of the vagina and go get laid dude.

The OP also said it was a special occasion and wanted to treat his wife, so atmosphere counts here. Bob's isn't exactly a romantic setting, but ya they've got great steaks. Old Hickory has great atmosphere for something like he's wanting.

Yelp usually has some good reviews, check them out:

Yelp Review - Old Hickory

I guess a lot of people like shit... Look at that, ranked higher than Bob's too.

Yelp - Grapevine

Gearheads Dyno Video

Comment

The OP also said it was a special occasion and wanted to treat his wife
                              Correct. She finally got a freakin' job after my daughter has been in daycare since AUGUST.

<-- going to feel like he's won the lottery now

Comment

Sorry, guess I've missed all those published restaurant reviews of yours since you're such a connoisseur. You may have had a bad experience, but to tell someone their tastes suck and they don't know a real steak due to your single experience is asinine. No offense, but pull the panties out of the vagina and go get laid dude.

The OP also said it was a special occasion and wanted to treat his wife, so atmosphere counts here. Bob's isn't exactly a romantic setting, but ya they've got great steaks. Old Hickory has great atmosphere for something like he's wanting.

Yelp usually has some good reviews, check them out:

Yelp Review - Old Hickory

I guess a lot of people like shit... Look at that, ranked higher than Bob's too.

Yelp - Grapevine
                                You must not have gotten the memo. Brent is the all mighty power of judgment on restaurants and we pathetic minions know nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X