No announcement yet.

"Craft" beer recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a couple of the Lakewood IPA last night. I'd pick Deep Ellum's IPA over it but it wasn't bad.

In before the local brewers all suck circle jerk.

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
      I had a couple of the Lakewood IPA last night. I'd pick Deep Ellum's IPA over it but it wasn't bad.
      Lakewood is putting out some real solid stuff. Their Hopp Trapp is a Belgian IPA, which can take a little getting used to if you're not familiar with the style. I love IPA's, but the Belgian's don't do much for me. I'll have one every once in a while to mix things up. If you like stouts, Lakewood's Temptress Imperial Milk Stout is one of the best I've ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
        Lakewood is putting out some real solid stuff. Their Hopp Trapp is a Belgian IPA, which can take a little getting used to if you're not familiar with the style. I love IPA's, but the Belgian's don't do much for me. I'll have one every once in a while to mix things up. If you like stouts, Lakewood's Temptress Imperial Milk Stout is one of the best I've ever had.
        Agreed, the Temptress is wonderful. I grabbed a sixer of their Punkel (Dunkel/Pumpkin) a while back and that was tasty too.

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
          Agreed, the Temptress is wonderful. I grabbed a sixer of their Punkel (Dunkel/Pumpkin) a while back and that was tasty too.
          Yes. Punkel is a remarkable alternative to the dozens of pumpkin/fall seasonal beers that overflow the shelves this time of year, the majority of which are not very pleasing to drink whatsoever. They hit the nail on the head with Punkel.

Comment

speaking of milk stouts, i picked up a temptress from lakewood and a left hand a while back. both were good, but goddamn the left hand was like drinking pure sugar. it was very tasty though.

dogfish head makes and excellent pumpkin ale, imo

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
              speaking of milk stouts, i picked up a temptress from lakewood and a left hand a while back. both were good, but goddamn the left hand was like drinking pure sugar. it was very tasty though.

dogfish head makes and excellent pumpkin ale, imo
              Left Hand also makes a nitro version of their milk stout, absolutely fantastic.

Dogfish Head's pumpkin ale was actually the first beer Sam (the owner) ever made and it's what inspired him to start the brewery. It is delicious and it's actually pretty hard to get. They are close to the annual punkin chunkin contest so it fits. They are probably my favorite non Texas brewery. Followed closely by Avery of course, then Stone.

Deep Ellum's IPA is my favorite Texas one. It's got the hop bite but with kind of a pineapple back end. Really weird but good. Hops and Grains in Austin makes a regular pale ale though (Pale Dog) that to me has the absolute perfect flavor profile for a hop head. Dogfish Head's 90 minute sets the standard for a good IPA though in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                Left Hand also makes a nitro version of their milk stout, absolutely fantastic.

Dogfish Head's pumpkin ale was actually the first beer Sam (the owner) ever made and it's what inspired him to start the brewery. It is delicious and it's actually pretty hard to get. They are close to the annual punkin chunkin contest so it fits. They are probably my favorite non Texas brewery. Followed closely by Avery of course, then Stone.

Deep Ellum's IPA is my favorite Texas one. It's got the hop bite but with kind of a pineapple back end. Really weird but good. Hops and Grains in Austin makes a regular pale ale though (Pale Dog) that to me has the absolute perfect flavor profile for a hop head. Dogfish Head's 90 minute sets the standard for a good IPA though in my opinion.
                hah. i found a couple at an exxon mix and match of all places! also where i found the anchor christmas ale 2013. supposedly a different label and recipe each year

Comment

Rahr had an Avoca Coffee Porter this weekend for the anniversary party. It's probably not ever going to market but it was nice. Now the black saison aged in cabernet barrels? Yeah, they need to market that stuff immediately.

They also unveiled the new canning line! Blonde and a new pale ale will be available in cans early next year.

they had a bunch of shit at that party. was a good time.
                  HD Parts
                  paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Now if you want a cheaper and more readily available version of their popular beers Victory's Golden Monkey is great and comes in at 12% abv. It's bottle finished and everything and Central Market or Spec's probably have it in stock. Or everyone has Chimay these days.
                    9.5% abv.
                    HD Parts
                    paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Didn't read the whole thread, but my favorite, by far, are IPAs or Pale Ales. They are bitter, and some would say it's an acquired taste, but I was hooked as soon as I started drinking them. And typically they have a higher than average abv.

I really like Mirror Pond's Pale Ale and Full Sail's IPA.

My dad turned me on to both of those, BTW.. He also brews his own beer by the keg, has a 50's fridge converted into a kegerator with a tap on the front, and grows his own hops on a trellis on his deck. I'm very jealous.
                      Last edited by Chili; 11-13-2013, 09:55 PM.

Comment

mirror pond is decent, i like deschutes brewery. full sail is just ite.

tonight: majic hat pistil (ok), deschutes jubelale (awesome), sixpoint bengal tiger (yes please), ghost rider unfiltered white ipa(different, but good), great divide heyday and lakewood lager (havent drank yet).

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                          Didn't read the whole thread, but my favorite, by far, are IPAs or Pale Ales. They are bitter, and some would say it's an acquired taste, but I was hooked as soon as I started drinking them. And typically they have a higher than average abv.

I really like Mirror Pond's Pale Ale and Full Sail's IPA.

My dad turned me on to both of those, BTW.. He also brews his own beer by the keg, has a 50's fridge converted into a kegerator with a tap on the front, and grows his own hops on a trellis on his deck. I'm very jealous.

we brew our own beer too. have a porter ready for drinking right now, a pumpkin spiced porter and dry hopped ipa in pails right now, and a oaked imperial ipa sitting in a carboy needing to be bottled. Just got a kegerator kit from UPS today to convert our second fridge and start kegging beer.
                          HD Parts
                          paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Originally posted by 89stangGT View Post
                            we brew our own beer too. have a porter ready for drinking right now, a pumpkin spiced porter and dry hopped ipa in pails right now, and a oaked imperial ipa sitting in a carboy needing to be bottled. Just got a kegerator kit from UPS today to convert our second fridge and start kegging beer.
                            Um.. I live in south Euless, right next to Arlington. And would gladly accept an invitation for the tasting of the IPA(s).

Comment

Magic hat sampler here, good shit! I need to start brewing

Comment

Originally posted by 89stangGT View Post
                                9.5% abv.
                                That's an average, depending on how alcohol tolerant the yeast is it might vary a couple of percent either way. A large brewery like Ommegang or the Boston Beer Company will have a team of scientists that raise their yeast and they can blend batches. Smaller ones just go with strains they've used before and bottle whatever comes out of the tanks, after verifying it's up to their standards of course.

I noticed they have a V-12 beer now, advertised as a Belgian Quad. I'm guessing they figured out a consistent 12% recipe. I remember buying Golden Monkey though specifically due to it having the 12% abv on their bottle.

Comment

Working...
                                X