No announcement yet.

Six figure blue collar jobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got lucky with my house in Keller. Foreclosure with a lot of problems, but the bones of the house were good.

Ended up replacing every bit of flooring in the house, had to replace the entire A/C & Air handler unit in the attic, at some point while it was abandoned for 2 years, water leaked so substantially, it ruined the flooring from the master bath to the living room (didn't get high enough to get into the walls thankfully)...it had problems, but all were fixable over 7 months while living with my parents...and trying to get my wife pregnant...lol that was awkward silent sex.

Essentially I bought a $200K house for $135,000, then paid down cash on top and could sell for $220K with only $118K left on the loan. But I have zero intention of moving because I would never be able to get back into Keller without taking it on the chin and getting a smaller/uglier house.

So it's possible lower middle class riff-raff like me can get into your fancy neighborhood!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
      Fuck a 300k house payment with 100k annual income, I'm paying $1500 a month for my house and that is already plenty high enough for me.

I totally got F'd on the buy low sell high game, I got my first house when I was 19 for 95k, sold it for the same amount 10 years later, shortly after that the market started to shoot up, ugh.
      That's more than my mortgage on 300k. Interest rates.... we bought at the low. I could sell my house now and clear 100k but then I have to pay for a different overpriced house at a higher interest rate. I may just buy a beach house or mountain retreat next instead.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
        That's more than my mortgage on 300k. Interest rates.... we bought at the low. I could sell my house now and clear 100k but then I have to pay for a different overpriced house at a higher interest rate. I may just buy a beach house or mountain retreat next instead.
        You pay less than $1500 a month on a $300k mortgage? In Texas? I'm guessing you don't escrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
          I'm not talking CA prices. I've been perusing homes in the North Dallas area (Plano, Frisco, Prosper, Allen, etc.) with thought of a relocation in the next couple years, and $300k is near the middle of the of the spectrum. Decent homes, but older, and I wouldn't be wondering how someone affords them. The nice stuff starts at double that.
          Look a little further out. I build in Forney and our 300-350k house is equivalent to our 400-450k+ houses in the mckinney/frisco/plano are

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Police and fire are regularly making 6 figures with just a little OT. Cali depts have guys making $200k with OT.

With that said you could start just about any blue collar job ans make 6 figures on your own or small team. Painting houses, plumbing, handy man, etc. You simply have to be honest, show up when you say you will, do the work you promise and on time, come in on budget... Basically just do those things and regardless your business type you will be fighting off new business.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
              You pay less than $1500 a month on a $300k mortgage? In Texas? I'm guessing you don't escrow?
              The friend I mentioned earlier is paying $2100 on the $350k house, with 10% down, escrowed. So you're likely correct.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
                Police and fire are regularly making 6 figures with just a little OT. Cali depts have guys making $200k with OT.
                My sister-in-law is an elementary school teacher in Southern CA (Riverside) and makes just over $100k a year!

Comment

That's still a location issue.. lol

And the reason shit is so expensive up there is because of all of you damn Californians moving back there and driving up the prices!!

oh,m and fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                    100k isn't what 100k used to be...
                    Truth

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
                      I'm police and will be at 75k with very little OT. I rarely work any extra jobs but there are guys that work extra jobs 2+ days a week, which are $40+/hr.

Comment

I'm seeing a lot of anecdotal "I know a guy who...."

There are a lot of people with a lot of debt, and little to no retirement. 300k-500k home, 2 newer cars, 2-3 kids, stay at home wife, shit just doesn't add up.
                        2006 Civic SI
                        2009 Pilot
                        1988 GT
                        CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                          I'm seeing a lot of anecdotal "I know a guy who...."

There are a lot of people with a lot of debt, and little to no retirement. 300k-500k home, 2 newer cars, 2-3 kids, stay at home wife, shit just doesn't add up.
                          Exactly what I said earlier....

The way I have always looked at. We don't take on more debt than we make in a year. That includes student loans, house and everything. Of course there was a time we had more in debt than we made because of being a student. However we did not have a big house payment or any other debt at the time we were borrowing money for school. Back then our house payment was $600 which was cheaper than most apartments. Talking to people about it I find that some people have a total debt that is more than 3-5 years of their income.

Comment

Yes 200k. While I appreciate you making assumptions it's all public record and easy to find that many LT, captain, and even fire medics are making over 300k in 2015. $200k is easily attainable in Cali. Oakland has tons of guys making 100k in overtime alone. We have a guy who lives in kansas and works in Cali for the money. Just arranges trades so that he can go and come back on linger stretches. Last year at a conference I met some guys who had a guy from Ireland who goes back and forth.

Here in little ol kansas with no OT our guys top out in the mid 80s and they arent officers. A 24 hr shift pays pretty good when your OT rate is better than 40/hr.

Comment

Mortgage, taxes and insurance all are different items. Rolling them all together into an escrow isn't a great way to compare to renting. Taxes vary by ISD, county, etc too. I won't be retiring in DFW because the taxes here are ridiculous. For the amount of tax I pay I should be able to drive on glass smooth fresh tarmac everywhere toll free, but I had to buy a Jeep.....

I had to stop escrow because the mortgage company could fuck that up in their favor ad nauseum..... paid insurance twice one year, overpaid property tax consistently, etc. Payment up and down yo yo ing all year. Whoever came up with "escrow" for these items should be drawn and quartered for being a shyster.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                                Look a little further out. I build in Forney and our 300-350k house is equivalent to our 400-450k+ houses in the mckinney/frisco/plano are

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                                Forney the new mesquite

Comment

Working...
                                X