No announcement yet.

1990 Coupe - 'budget' turbo kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, major update time. I couldn't leave it alone knowing I was so close on the tune, so I called Daniel at Simple Quick to schedule some more dyno time. The first dyno session had a couple of problems - one bieng what appeared to be a minor oil leak, the other bieng a much more serious problem - leaning out at an instant, at somewhere near 7,000RPM.

There were four definitive problems in the fuel delivery

1) The diaphragm on the billet boost referenced power valves was not fastened tight enough to the valve itself.. it leaked fuel to the back of the power valve (and out the external vent for the BRPV).
    2) The power valve gasket itself was apparently leaking as well.
    3) The primary powervalve's valve was not seating 100%
    4) The power valve restrictor channel was simply too small....

All of that was fixed first, along with the oil leak - bad fitting install by yours truly.

The base timing on the crank trigger was set at 30* instead of the 40* that I normally tune from. (this engine was ran N/A for about 5 miles, so it was set at a 'normal' number). This meant that there was a 10* discrepency in the total timing at full boost. I was actually running 10* less than I thought. Between the corrected timing and the BRPV fix - it picked up about 40HP through the curve.

All in all, todays dyno session was 100% successfull - but I'm still going to work on the powervalve arrangement, I want some more fuel in it without increasing main jet sizing (right now running 74/74). The pvrc's are in the .100 range.

(most of that stuff won't make sense who's not pretty familiar with the innards of a Holley, but you get the idea)

The last 'problem' was to keep it from spinning the tires on the rollers. The only way I could get it to do that was to roll into the gas for what seemed like an eternity. If you watch the carb linkage in the video - you'll see what I mean. Long story short, it made right at 780ish on the spring and turned up it made 922RWHP. I had a goal of 950, but this is close enough for now. This was on 16.5* timing @ 26psi. This turbo is spent now.

Now, it's time for the rest of the build - the cage, TTSFC's and wiring.

Enjoy.

Here's the car back on the rollers after fixing the leaning out problem. I also found that the timing was locked at 30* instead of 40* like I normally run it...

Comment

• Noice!
      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
      86 SVO - Sold
      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

• Nice results. With that same turbo mine did 880 at 24.

Text me your number. I lost all my contacts

Comment

• Originally posted by turbostang View Post
          The last 'problem' was to keep it from spinning the tires on the rollers. The only way I could get it to do that was to roll into the gas for what seemed like an eternity. If you watch the carb linkage in the video - you'll see what I mean. Long story short,
          If you need some "fat ass" ballast the next time you tune it let me know. I'm happy to help in the traction area. :P
          As I understand it "rolling into the gas" means quite an untruthful number on the result. What do you think the numbers should read?
          Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
          There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darren M View Post
            If you need some "fat ass" ballast the next time you tune it let me know. I'm happy to help in the traction area. :P
            As I understand it "rolling into the gas" means quite an untruthful number on the result. What do you think the numbers should read?
            In something like this, it's all you can do. IMHO, the only thing not accurate on the numbers on this particular dyno is where the peak torque/HP actually happens, not necessarily the peak itself.

Comment

• looks great. jealous as ever.
              2009 Mustang GT
              1972 Country Squire

Comment

• Man, nice numbers!!
                Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

• 9xx on a budget man id like to see what you can do with no budget!!

Comment

• LOL Junior! I'm going to get used to driving again, and then switch out turbos - it'll pick up 300-500rwhp.

This is how it's sitting now, minus radiator. I'm starting to take it apart for the 'cleanup' part of the project.

Comment

• That rearend looks familiar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clifton View Post
                        Hello Chris and Greg.

Comment

• Originally posted by junior View Post
                          9xx on a budget man id like to see what you can do with no budget!!
                          thats where my confusion comes from. if this shit looks this good on a budget, then i guess his non budget stuff would be PRO-5.0 style stuff. im no nuthugger, but with skills like his my chin is for rent.

Comment

• Like I've mentioned in the past, budget is relative to what you're trying to do. I had hoped for 950rwhp, and didn't quite make it - but we'll hit the dyno one more time before it's on the track.

I'll have some serious updates by the weekend. There's already a lot that's been done to the car. The SFC's are in the car and the cage will be started on Thursday night.

Some new plans -

The ignition will be controlled my megasquirt. I already had the box and didn't want to sell it, nor did I want to purchase/use the standard issue 7531 box. By using the Megasquirt box I get datalogging of everything under the sun, inlcuding ECT, IAT, 02 etc.. Also, it will have LSx type coils and a 36-1 trigger wheel. Eventually it will get 16 injectors - but for now, it will just be blowthrough.

Comment

• Looking forward to the cage pics.
                              Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                              There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

• U need to get that lowcar throttle setup.

Comment

Working...
                                X