No announcement yet.

Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eh, we gave up trying to get a gtg anymore. And in usual DFWStangs routine, a bunch of ppl say they are coming and no one shows up...
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Or a Sunday! Every other Sunday I only work from 0800-1300. I Live in HEB area and work in Coppell. I'm always down for some BBQ.

Comment

• Not sure about Sundays, but I'll ask Jose. I think the next stop on the tour is Pecan Lodge in DE in Dallas...
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Well fuck me, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
            You buy retail and I buy wholesale. Price per pound there has to be a lot of profit in bbq.

Margins really aren't significantly different than any other restaurant. Far more waste in BBQ, as well as more shrinkage/lower yields after cooking.

And Henry- I better get a text next time you and Jos-B go for BBQ grub
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              You got it, 'B...

Comment

• Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                You are spot on about the parking. Fuckin' hipsters have ruined BA. I used to love going to El Jordan for mexican breakfast, but its impossible to get in now.

Sauce is just part of barbeque guys. It's a part of the whole experience as well as good sides. Great meat without sauces and sides is a like dating a supermodel and only getting a HJ. It's just not a complete experience. Did I mention good cold beer? Even better.

The best barbeque places can do it all and do it all well.
                I wouldn't say hipsters have ruined the place because without them I don't think BA would be thriving the way it is now. There are already plans to build a parking garage and some apartments nearby so that will help with parking but will also hurt the feel of the area. I've never had a problem going to El Jordan for breakfast even on a Sunday, but I usually go early in the morning. I've been hitting up some of the bars in that area the past couple of months for Friday happy hour and parking can be difficult but I've never taken more than 15 minutes to find a spot.

Sure sauce is a part of barbecue but not so much Texas barbecue. A lot of barbecue joints will have it available but it's to cater to people (like yourself) who need to have it with their barbecue. IMO, sauce covers up the taste of the smoked meat, not so much compliments it like a good side dish. Just like I don't put A-1 on my steaks because it covers the taste of the meat. But again that's my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                  Eh, we gave up trying to get a gtg anymore. And in usual DFWStangs routine, a bunch of ppl say they are coming and no one shows up...
                  Truff!

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                  Not sure about Sundays, but I'll ask Jose. I think the next stop on the tour is Pecan Lodge in DE in Dallas...
                  I would be up for Sunday's.

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  If I'm Jos-B who's Jos-A??

Comment

• Ho-say

Comment

• I don't need sauce, but if you are a barbeque place and you don't make a few different sauces and spend some time on sides, then you are too lazy to earn my business. The best barbeque place in Dallas was Smoke when it opened orginally when they had an ala carte smoked meat menu served by the pound. Then they fucked it up in the name of hipsterness. They still have some pretty interesting plates, but the ala carte meat menu was the best. They also had 4 very good sauces. Smoke fucked up their menu about 3 or 4 months after opening. Before that I couldn't get enough of that place.

Comment

• The Smoke they opened in Plano is the furthest thing from BBQ i've ever had at a place that called itself a BBQ joint.

Now the dishes they had were good, but i wouldn't call oven cooked ribs BBQ. Hell the brisket didn't have a smoke ring we could find.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                          I don't need sauce, but if you are a barbeque place and you don't make a few different sauces and spend some time on sides, then you are too lazy to earn my business. The best barbeque place in Dallas was Smoke when it opened orginally when they had an ala carte smoked meat menu served by the pound. Then they fucked it up in the name of hipsterness. They still have some pretty interesting plates, but the ala carte meat menu was the best. They also had 4 very good sauces. Smoke fucked up their menu about 3 or 4 months after opening. Before that I couldn't get enough of that place.
                          I went there last year and was not impressed at all.

Comment

• Like I said Smoke was great for about 3 months and then they totally screwed it up...... It was sad. I wish I had taken an original menu with me. I haven't been but once since they got rid of the original menu and I doubt I shall ever return.

Maybe I will swing by Cattle Ack on Friday before I swim at lunchtime. That will probably be my only chance this week at decent smoked meats.

I was watching Triple D and they went to Caplansky's in Toronto. Now that was meat smoking establishment that must go on my list. I'm going to have to make my own pastrami/smoked meat here later this spring. When it takes a week to brine and a day to smoke and then gets finished in a sandwich press, you know it's going to be good.

I guess I'm lucky. I grew up in TX, but thanks to the Navy and my current job I've traveled a lot. There are lots of great ways to smoke or barbeque different things. TX mesquite smoked barbeque is just one way to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                              The Smoke they opened in Plano is the furthest thing from BBQ i've ever had at a place that called itself a BBQ joint.

Now the dishes they had were good, but i wouldn't call oven cooked ribs BBQ. Hell the brisket didn't have a smoke ring we could find.

Good thing I haven't wasted any time or money going there...

Comment

• Couldn't figure out which thread I should post this to so I decided on this one.

So I spent few days last week SE of Houston doing some relaxing by the beach and a little fishing. I remember bcoop talking about Killen's BBQ down in Pearland so I headed up there for some lunch last Friday.

I arrived at 11am and had about a 25 minute wait in line. They were giving out complimentary beer and only asking for tips which was pretty cool.

I only ordered a brisket sandwich to eat as I was taking back a couple of beef ribs and a pound of wagyu beef burn ends.

The smokers at Killen's.

Bad camera phone pic of one of the ribs.

Wagyu burnt ends.

Overall, very good stuff based on the three meats I tried. The sandwich filled me up, which should mean something because I have a big appetite (especially for BBQ). It was also pretty expensive, I got my receipt somewhere but it was upwards of $100 for two brisket sandwiches, two beef ribs, and one pound of the wagyu burnt ends. I'll definitely by hitting this place back up next time I'm in town.

Comment

Working...
                                X