Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rand Paul on a marathon speaking filibuster right now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    Yep. Several years ago, in Canada, I made the comment that Obama would win the second term and the GOP deserved to lose the 2008 election, and I was chastized for it. After the most recent election, I was chastized for saying "I told you so."

The GOP deserved to lose the last election, and they WILL continue to lose by a larger margin each year until they get some of these old, crotchety, out of touch assholes out of office. There is a way to be moral without shoving religion down people's throats. It's time to give the abortion shit a rest. It's time to give gay marriage a rest. We've got bigger fish to fry. It's time to actually show that they are for smaller government, rather than just talk about it. This drone shit is a perfect example. There were what, 4 other senators that stood with Cruz? Where the fuck was the rest of the GOP? Vote their sorry asses out. Even Jon fucking Stewart conceded that Paul was 100% dead on with his concerns.

It absolutely sickens me.

You were fucking right. Romney is the best they came up with. A lot of them won't own up to it, but they were vehemently anti-Romney until it became readily apparent that he was the best the GOP had to offer. After that a switch was flipped and they became very pro-Romney, with little to no acknowledgement of their previous stance on him.

I made a pretty length post not terribly long after the election that said something to the effect of what you said: if the GOP caves on a few social issues (abortion and gay marriage, namely, along with not talking about immigration any more because none of them are on the same page), they'll gain more votes and power than they'll know what to do with.

Alas, you can't compromise at all according to the board because, as was so eloquently explained to me yesterday, if you compromise then you put closet liberals in power and they're going to run the country into the ground. It's not true, but even if it was, wouldn't you take the extra power with that risk as opposed to beating your head against a brick wall while watching your grasp on power in the Capitol fade away because you want to be able to say that you didn't compromise?

Small changes would lead to HUGE gains for the GOP. But as represented by her followers in here, spreading paranoid rhetoric and fear mongering is more important than actually doing something. I'm convinced they'd rather lose and bitch about things than have the burden of winning and trying to do something worthwhile. It's the same exact thing that plagued the Democrats under Bush until they got energized by the Obama campaign. Now they want to win again, and it's showing.

Comment

• Actually, Romney wasn't the best that they could come up with. He was best suited to lose to Obama. Anyone they put in there was going to lose to him, so why put their best forward?

Comment

• Originally posted by Denny View Post
        Actually, Romney wasn't the best that they could come up with. He was best suited to lose to Obama. Anyone they put in there was going to lose to him, so why put their best forward?
        Who was better? Newt? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

It was an election that the GOP needed to lose for its own sake, but your suggesting that it was a premediated plot by the whole party to put the best loser up is giving WAY too much credit to what's going on inside the party.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denny View Post
          Actually, Romney wasn't the best that they could come up with. He was best suited to lose to Obama. Anyone they put in there was going to lose to him, so why put their best forward?
          I see your point, but I disagree. A strong candidate would have won by a landslide. How quickly you forget that Democrats were turning on Obama left and right.

GOP need to rebrand. Like 10 years ago. There won't be another R majority or R president until they do. I'll put money on it.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• One of their younger bunch. Like I said, any of them would have lost.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
              Who was better? Newt? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

It was an election that the GOP needed to lose for its own sake, but your suggesting that it was a premediated plot by the whole party to put the best loser up is giving WAY too much credit to what's going on inside the party.
              Not saying I wanted him but Cain would have stood the best chance in my opinion, eliminate the race card... or turn it in his favor since both of his parents are black.

Comment

I see your point, but I disagree. A strong candidate would have won by a landslide. How quickly you forget that Democrats were turning on Obama left and right.

GOP need to rebrand. Like 10 years ago. There won't be another R majority or R president until they do. I'll put money on it.
                This.

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                One of their younger bunch. Like I said, any of them would have lost.
                Which of the younger bunch? Jindal, Rubio, Pawlenty (lol), Santorum(lolololololol)? None of the rest of the "younger" bunch was really ready or available at that time.

I also disagree than anyone would have lost. The moderate voting populous was dying for someone to vote for other than Obama, and the Republican party gave them nothing. It disenfranchised a lot of right leaning moderates and it failed to convert any left leaning moderates. There was a lot of ground to be made up there, and the GOP probably wound up losing some instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by DallasSleeper View Post
                  Not saying I wanted him but Cain would have stood the best chance in my opinion, eliminate the race card... or turn it in his favor since both of his parents are black.
                  Cain was/is a loose cannon, a black Newt Gingrich. I think the race bit wouldn't have mattered nearly as much as we might have hoped. The black community is often quick to turn on white sympathizers (shhh, don't tell them that Obama is one of those). Cain didn't bring any substance to the table, which was his ultimate downfall.

Comment

This.

Which of the younger bunch? Jindal, Rubio, Pawlenty (lol), Santorum(lolololololol)? None of the rest of the "younger" bunch was really ready or available at that time.

I also disagree than anyone would have lost. The moderate voting populous was dying for someone to vote for other than Obama, and the Republican party gave them nothing. It disenfranchised a lot of right leaning moderates and it failed to convert any left leaning moderates. There was a lot of ground to be made up there, and the GOP probably wound up losing some instead.
                    This right here. I didn't vote Republican because they didn't give me anyone to vote for. I'm certain that there are others like myself that are/were in the same boat.

Comment

• I love it, he mad....

On Fox's Studio B this afternoon, Shepard Smith put the pressure on Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) to explain his seeming disdain for Sen. Rand Paul's (R-KY) Wednesday filibuster regarding the executive branch's authority to use targeted assassinations against American citizens on U.S. soil. At one point during the interview, McCain became offended at Smith's suggestion that he is an "interventionist" when it comes to foreign policy.

Comment

This.

Exactly what I am saying. Ryan, Rubio and possibly Jindal are all being primed for it, but they didn't want to put any of them up there because they'd get what Romney got or worse.

Comment

• McCain needs to retire and go bitch at waiters on a beach somewhere. Jesus Christ, he is making me ashamed I voted for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
                            McCain needs to retire and go bitch at waiters on a beach somewhere. Jesus Christ, he is making me ashamed I voted for him.
                            Well said (and I feel the same). It's time for the youngsters to take charge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                              Well said (and I feel the same). It's time for the youngsters to take charge.
                              I'm honestly shocked to hear you say that. But yes, they do.
                              Originally posted by BradM
                              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I'm honestly shocked to hear you say that. But yes, they do.
                                Why would you be shocked?

Comment

Working...
                                X