No announcement yet.

Personal best on bench last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've always been told (by multiple powerlifters and strongman competitors) that failing on a 1 rep max should be avoided due to the large strain it puts on the CNS and just the mental block it builds. increases in weight should be methodical and calculated vs. just throwing caution to the wind and "seeing how it goes".

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
      i've always been told (by multiple powerlifters and strongman competitors) that failing on a 1 rep max should be avoided due to the large strain it puts on the CNS and just the mental block it builds. increases in weight should be methodical and calculated vs. just throwing caution to the wind and "seeing how it goes".
      thats why i dont do ORM

if i can do it once.. i can do it twice with a a forced rep or a negative.
      2016 250 Mini dozer

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post

Understandable.

Not sure anything is ever calculated that i do lol

Comment

Originally posted by BERT View Post
          Last night i "tried" 275. I just wanted to feel the weight of it and had my brother there the whole time helping me so i didn't really strain too much. Can hold it up and bring it down just fine, even got it off my chest and thought i was going to be able to get it. Coudn't quite get it passed that point a little above the chest though. Oh well, i know what that feels like and can work towards it. Within a months time i want to get that up. If i feel like i did last night, i should be able to get 265 up next week.

I started doing partial reps to focus harder on my chest. Been trying to get pointers from the bigger guys at the gym, they say these help. So i did my last two sets at 225 doing this, not bad.

And did just that. Took the day off work cause it's my birthday, so me and my brother went up there early. He had off cause he works for a bank and they get every fucking holiday off known to man.

Felt a little different going earlier and not having a full day of eating in me. Still felt like an ok workout though.

Comment

What i did last night is what i'll probably do for the next few weeks. Did 4 sets on flat bench. Started with 6 at 225, 4 at 245, 4 at 245 and finished with 5 at 225. Didn't have a set number of reps that i wanted to get up each time, just did it until i felt i couldn't get the next one up.

On back days i've started doing less weight on lat pulldowns to get my form correct.

Doing Bi's i started getting pain in my forearms again for some reason. The weight isn't too heavy, i can do it just fine. Seems strange to me.

Nothing interesting to say about anything else

Comment

Is the pain only present during certain exercises?

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                Is the pain only present during certain exercises?

Yes

Dumbbell curls, no pain. Easybar or cable curls, pain.

I've tried different hand positions on the easybar, but it doesn't make that big of a difference. Sometimes it might hurt a little more with my hands closer together but not that much more.

Comment

I have somewhat the same problem. Pain between the forearm/brachio and outside of bicep, however mine is pretty much with any pulling exercise. I've been told by a few that it could be the start of tendonitis.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                    I have somewhat the same problem. Pain between the forearm/brachio and outside of bicep, however mine is pretty much with any pulling exercise. I've been told by a few that it could be the start of tendonitis.

Mine is just below the wrist in the forearms, bicep itself is fine

Comment

• I'm sure you already know this, but just stay away from putting your arms/wrists at those angles when working out for at least two weeks and then gradually get back into it with light weight and see what happens. If the pain returns then repeat, but stay away from those exercises for a few months. My Dr. told me to take Advil and see if the pain resides. Never did and I know the controversy surrounding it. You can always talk to your Dr. as well and see what they recommend.

Comment

• Aaron- You still hard at it? Haven't seen you post in awhile

Comment

• I've been lifting a bit sporadically the last couple weeks, thanks to lots business travel, and getting a nasty case of the flu.

The shoulder pain I was having is all but gone now though, as is the aching in my right forearm, so I am considering the "forced" time off to be a good thing. I'll get back at it today, and I only have one more trip scheduled for the next few months, so it's time to ramp it back up.

I was up to benching 245 for sets of 8 before the time off, so there's still a ways to go, but that's still a far cry from struggling with 135 for 8 when I first started back in November. Working out with Whitelightning when I was in Texas back in February did spark my interest in putting up the really big weight again, but admittedly my diet has suffered in the last few weeks, so my immediate focus is going to be higher reps and cardio, in an effort to lean up before a beach trip this summer.

The biggest progress for me personally is that I haven't had a drop of alcohol in almost 7 months now. That may not seem like a big deal for some, but for me personally, especially in the business that I am in, that's taken quite a bit of "work." Now I need to apply the same resolve when looking at the menus. heh

Comment

• Shut up and lift
                            2016 250 Mini dozer

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by White_lightning View Post
                              Shut up and lift
                              And don't forget your cardio big en!

Comment

• That's good to hear, Aaron. Sound like you're already stronger than me, but that's no big surprise to anyone lol

I wasn't going to do a max rep last night, as my plan was to keep doing what i've been doing for about a month or two before trying that again. But i did anyway cause curiousity got the best of me and once again i surpriesed myself by getting 275 up this time. Rather easily if i do say so myself. Then on my last set i finished doing 225 6 times, the most i have been able to do on my last set. Needless to say, i was pretty happy last night

Progress, it's at a snails pace, but i'll take it

Comment

Working...
                                X