IDPA guys in here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDPA guys in here.

Anyone currently shooting or shot IDPA in the past? I'm interested in getting started in IDPA and have a few questions.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Propellerhead

Comment

It has been a long time since I have been to a qualifier. What do you need to know?
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

First thing is first, I'm reading through the IDPA rule book and it's listed as a 2005 rule book. Seems like it would be a little more up to date than that. I'm only on page 13 of 82 but will the rule book state what class my Springfield XD9 would put me in?

Do you have to be apart of a gun club to shoot IDPA or can you just become an IDPA member and shoot? I see a membership option for IDPA and then I see that Dallas Pistol Shooters Association has a membership and shoots IDPA.
        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

You can go to I think 2 matches before you have to actually join, but mot clubs are just glad to have new people out. IDPA guys are a genuinely welcoming community of gun owners. If your XD9 is stock you should run in SSP (Stock Service Pistol).

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
            You can go to I think 2 matches before you have to actually join, but mot clubs are just glad to have new people out. IDPA guys are a genuinely welcoming community of gun owners. If your XD9 is stock you should run in SSP (Stock Service Pistol).
            Does the rule book give a break down of all the classes? After putting nearly 1000 rounds through my XD,9, I want some trigger work done, mostly to take up the slack in the trigger. A different set of sights is another thing I have interest in as well.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
              Does the rule book give a break down of all the classes? After putting nearly 1000 rounds through my XD,9, I want some trigger work done, mostly to take up the slack in the trigger. A different set of sights is another thing I have interest in as well.
              It should. Trigger work is generally accepted as ok, and I think sights are too for SSP.
              Last edited by Moose242; 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM.

Comment

USPSA is another group to check out. I've been to 7 or 8 shoots and still don't know the classing rules. as said, most groups are just happy to see new folks. but stock or production sounds like your best fit.

Comment

I just recently got the Outdoor channel on my cable package and they were showing a bunch of the 2012 IDPA finals this weekend and it looks like a lot of fun.

Comment

The XD9 puts you in ESP. It's because of the way Springfield Armory described the trigger action. You'll find countless debates on this, saying its unfair because the Glock is SSP. At the end of the day, it's still like 99% skill and 1% gun. Whatever gun you bring, someone shooting a revolver is gonna kick your ass.

IDPA's policy is that you have to be a member of IDPA to shoot IDPA. Most clubs I know, including Cross Timbers, let you shoot your first match free. After that, you need to become a member of IDPA. On a local level, you can wing it but you won't be able to participate in state or regional matches, nor become a Safety Officer.

Check out CTIDPA.com. They're a really friendly bunch. I went there the first time not knowing anyone and I felt very welcome. They also have the most Master level shooters in any of the IDPA clubs in DFW. There are a lot of good guys to learn from. Read up at their website then shoot them an email to arrange your first visit. It's easy to get hooked.
                    Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Don't worry about mods for now. Many guys shoot factory stock guns. I shot my first year using my concealed carry gear -- a stock XD-40, IWB holster and my regular work attire. It wasn't till the second year when I got a vest, switched to an XD-9 and a Kydex OWB holster.

It will take one or two matches to get an basic understanding of how the game is played. It will take a few months of weekly matches to really settle into what gun and mods are right for you.
                      Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Reading through the rule book, it doesn't mention very many holsters that aren't able to be used. Can you use a retention holster like a SERPA holster?

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
                          Don't worry about mods for now. Many guys shoot factory stock guns. I shot my first year using my concealed carry gear -- a stock XD-40, IWB holster and my regular work attire. It wasn't till the second year when I got a vest, switched to an XD-9 and a Kydex OWB holster.

It will take one or two matches to get an basic understanding of how the game is played. It will take a few months of weekly matches to really settle into what gun and mods are right for you.
                          Only reason I mentioned the trigger was is because it's something I'd planned on doing even if I don't get started into IDPA. Almost all of my guns have a little trigger work done. I just don't care for the stock sights on the XD.

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
                            Check out CTIDPA.com. They're a really friendly bunch. I went there the first time not knowing anyone and I felt very welcome. They also have the most Master level shooters in any of the IDPA clubs in DFW. There are a lot of good guys to learn from. Read up at their website then shoot them an email to arrange your first visit. It's easy to get hooked.
                            Thanks for the link, Cross Timbers looks like they mostly shoot out in Ft. Worth and I think there's a Dallas Club that shoots closer to where I live.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X