IDPA guys in here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motoman View Post
    Thanks for the info. Reading through the rule book, it doesn't mention very many holsters that aren't able to be used. Can you use a retention holster like a SERPA holster?
    Yes, but it will be to your disadvantage. You won't be running around or jumping while holstered so there's no need for it. The rare times you have to run (fast walk) to a shooting position while holstered, you just put your hand over your holstered pistol. That also positions your hand to draw the pistol once you stop and get your feet stabilized. If you are an LE and that's your duty gear, by all means, use it. LE are allowed to use their duty gear even if their gear falls outside what is allowable by IDPA.

Also check with the club. Some clubs might discourage them following that incident where a guy shot his leg during the draw. He thought his finger was pressing the release button when it was actually already inside the trigger guard. Boom! Instant ND.

If you don't have a Kydex OWB holster, don't sweat it. CTIDPA has a box of used holsters donated by members. Just let them know and they'll let you borrow one, free of charge. Besides, it's better to attend a few matches and see what people are using before you go out and buy your gear.

The straight drop ones from Comp-Tac are pretty popular.

Originally posted by motoman View Post
    Thanks for the link, Cross Timbers looks like they mostly shoot out in Ft. Worth and I think there's a Dallas Club that shoots closer to where I live.
    Some of the Dallas guys often shoot with CTIDPA.

You're welcome. It's easy to get hooked on practical shooting and IDPA is the cheapest one since it centers on standard/stock gear. The other practical shooting sports go all out on gear so people spend fortunes on race gear. IDPA also keeps things a little closer to what you might encounter in real life.
    Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Where are these comps usually done at? Are they reasonable distance from dfw?
      1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
      1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
      2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

I'm plan on watching the Elm Fork IDPA match February 6th. Wondered about the holster because I happen to have one. I suppose the holster that came with my XD would work as well.
        Originally posted by Jester
        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
        He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
        Originally posted by Denny
        What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
        FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Make sure the one that came with the XD is pretty loose. You don't want it lifting up with the pistol when you draw.

The state and regional matches are typically in and around Texas, Oklahoma and Lousiana. I just shot local club matches. I didn't go too far out of my way for a big match.

Comment

What kind of ammo did you shoot with? I was reading where they don't recommend target loads but more of a carry/defense load.
            Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

The real fun is in steel matches! Plan on using a LOT of ammo though.

It's fun to draw and hit 5 targets in under 4 seconds!

One thing to keep in mind that first match is to make sure you follow procedures. You will NOT be fast, but you can look stupid trying to be fast. Take your time, do it right. Speed will come with time.

Also, practice a few mag changes before you go and watch trigger discipline while changing mags and holstering the gun.

1. don't shoot yourself
              2. Don't shoot others
              3. Don't shoot ground within 3' radius of you
              4. Don't break the 180 degree plane
              5. Don't sweep the barrel to you body or your hand opening a door.

LISTEN to the range officer.

Have fun!

Comment

With ammo prices and availability the way they are, now is not a good time to get into IDPA, or any other shooting hobby for that matter...

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                  With ammo prices and availability the way they are, now is not a good time to get into IDPA, or any other shooting hobby for that matter...
                  I'm considering doing rimfire at the steel matches with my sons ruger mark IV. Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                    You know you're right Matt and I agree with you about this not being the best time to get started but with the way things have been, there may not be a best time anytime soon. My plan is to continue stocking up on ammo over the next couple weeks to get started, spend 2-3 weeks watching matches to learn the flow of things, spend a couple weeks shooting and practicing some basics, and hopefully shoot a first match in mid to late March.

Comment

I can’t help with any recommendations or information, but there is lots of good information on Brian Enos’s forum: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

I have tried to go to a couple competitions (3 gun and USPSA) but something always comes up and I can’t go. Please keep us updated! I can’t wait to try some competitions out when I come home.

Comment

I'm anxious to go watch a few matches and get started into the sport. The fact that they match you with shooters on your same/similar skill level really appeals to me.

Comment

just shoot the first time you go, watching is boring and you learn everything you need as you go along

Comment

I'm curious, why don't they allow stippled grips?

Comment

I shot factory 9mm ammo. The ones with reloading set ups shot dialed down .40 or .45 but keep in mind there's a lower limit per IDPA.

I didn't know stippled grips are not allowed. Personally, I think they are ugly. Only the one who did the stippling thinks they are nice. They are like ugly babies. Only the owner thinks they're cute. Many guys put grip tape (sandpaper) on their pre-4th gen Glocks. The XDm's checkering was grippy enough and my hands were never that sweaty.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1042 View Post
                                just shoot the first time you go, watching is boring and you learn everything you need as you go along
                                +1

CTIDPA (and probably the other clubs) will encourage this too. The best way to get introduced to the sport is by being geared up and ready to shoot. Everyone at any club is always aware of new shooters. That means everyone is more patient and helpful. No one, I mean no one, will try to rush you or fault you for being a noob. After shooting a stage, some of the guys will even give you pointers and comments on how you shot. Everyone pitches in the help a noob learn. You become one of the guys from Day One.

Comment

Working...
                                X