School me on the 2.3L turbo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on the 2.3L turbo.

I know that there are a few guys on here that know about the 2.3l turbo engines. I just picked up an 87 T-bird Turbo Coupe and it has a few issues. It's got a low RPM misfire, the boost gauge doesn't work, I hear the turbo spooling up, but I don't seem to have any power, and when I press the clutch in from cruising speed, it dies.

Obviously I am going to check the greatest hits, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, IAC valve, and vacuum hoses. I know to use plain ass copper plugs and motorcraft ignition items. Anything else to look out for? Is it an interference engine? If so, I will hit the timing belt too.

Sounds like there may be a boost leak somewhere, so check over EVERYTHING. These cars are getting old, and werent extra-reliable when they were newer. Id look at the wastegate too, make sure it is working properly.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I looked for the "tune" link, but cannot find it on forced4 or mustangsvo.org.

Your list is pretty good, but make sure to use Motorcraft ignition parts. If you turn up the boost, or if it already has a Gillis valve, lower the gap on the plugs. Set the timing to 10* with the spout out.

Replace the timing belt, and while you're there, the water pump and idler.

Check for vacuum leaks, and then secondarily for boost leaks, but those are easy to hear and find/fix.

My latest find is if the turbo has a slight oil leak, it will clog the cat, and it won't build boost.

Good luck. They are fun cars, but will eat most people's lunch keeping them tuned and running well.

It's ALWAYS something!
      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
      86 SVO - Sold
      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Check the cat . I had one years ago I bought and seamed that the turbo made no boost . Turned out to be a plugged cat . Pulled it off and got all the power (what little they make stock) back .
        Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Add a few big ground straps. That fixed almost every electrical problem mine had, and made it idle way better.

Comment

No, not an interference engine. Rig you up a pressure tester and stick in on the inlet of the turbo to check everything for leaks.

Comment

My advice is not to drive it without a large assortment of tools and a Triple A card.

Comment

Originally posted by dumpycapri85 View Post
                Check the cat . I had one years ago I bought and seamed that the turbo made no boost . Turned out to be a plugged cat . Pulled it off and got all the power (what little they make stock) back .
                ^^^THIS^^^

A buddy several years ago bought a grand national cheap cuz it ran like chit. Turns out the cat was clogged. He broke through it and the car ran like a raped ape!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BoostedD1 View Post
                  ^^^THIS^^^

A buddy several years ago bought a grand national cheap cuz it ran like chit. Turns out the cat was clogged. He broke through it and the car ran like a raped ape!!!!
                  Yep , when the seals get bad they blow oil and plug em up good .
                  Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Thanks guys, yall are giving me a great place to start. I will definitely check the cat out, it was reluctant to rev over 3500 RPM which is a pretty clear sign that the cat is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by dumpycapri85 View Post
                      seams unlikely.

god bless.
                      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

IAC was horribly dirty, cleaned it out and it's idling much better. Someone thought it would be a good idea to not use an air filter. The wires were some off brand 8mm, the plugs were motorcraft platinum, gapped at .45. Changed the plugs out with autolite 764 copper plugs gapped at .35, new motorcraft wires, new motorcraft air filter.

Hooked everything up and it wouldn't start.... Triple checked my firing order and it was fine. Finally found out that he stabbed the distributor wrong and all of the wires had to be rotated counter clockwise by one spot. Going to fix that tomorrow and then check the cat.

Comment

I screwed up the firing order on my old bird once. Fucker actually started and got me to work on 2cyl too. lol
                          I love me some 2.3t's
                          my old bird

Comment

Comment

1997, Recognize! (notice the open tool box on the lawn)

Comment

Working...
                              X